• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Seats the final answer FAQ

ConnorMann

NAXJA Forum User
Xj Seats the final answer FAQ

Saggy seat fix
-Take it apart and tighten the springs.
-Take it to a auto upholstery shop
-Passenger seat is a direct swap,
-I unbolted the passenger seat from it's manual rails and bolted it up to my
drivers side power rails. Everything was a perfect match. The only thing different about it is now the manual recline level (which is part of the seat itself) is on the inboard side of the drivers seat instead of outboard by the door.
- The seat frames tend to crack, especially the sheet metal buckets. You can weld up the cracks and other damage, and add little reinforcing gussets to taste pretty easily with a light-duty wire-feed welder. If you can weld, it's definitely worth doing.
- 94 and down are compatible, '95 and up will swap, possibly interchange with '93 and up ZJ (1993~1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee)
- It's a direct bolt in for late model XJ's when using WJ seats (1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee)

Used seat options
- www.car-part.com
-00 cavilier seats fit nicely in my 93 Cheromanche
- Honda/Acura seats

New seat options
- http://www.corbeau.com/
- http://www.redart.com/
- http://www.mastercraftseats.com/

Seat Rails
- diagrams of seat rails
- http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53448&highlight=seat
- The seat rails on 84-94 are interchangeable and 95-01 are interchangeable.
-Brackets for electric seats. Are they swappable? They are the same bolt patterns as the manual tracks.
- The power seats in the newer XJ sit about 1"- 1 1/2" higher than manual seats
- The drivers side powered seat was only available on the 97 Country and 98-01 Limited
- The wiring for the power seats is already installed in your 99 Sport if you have power windows & locks. The open pigtail connector is under the passenger front door threshold panel.

Thanks to all the posters of this info, now in one location

Good Luck,

ConnorMann

I wanna add that the 95 up seats will fit the 84-95 with a minor mod the rear bolts have to be re drilled and the front needs you to cut a piece of angle iron and bolt it to the floor and then bolt the seats to it.. works great..

ConnorMann said:
...- The drivers side powered seat was only available on the 97 Country and 98-01 Limited
I have a 92 Limited with power front seats.

You're talking about just a drivers side power seat with a manual passenger seat are'nt you? In that case nevermind.

You also need to add in that the ZJ and WJ seats are a direct swap too, for certain years. Some one already did a write up on that with pics a few months ago..

Has anybody tried to recover his own seats?
We fix just about everything on the XJ, why not the seats?
Any articles anywhere?

falcon556 said:
Has anybody tried to recover his own seats?
We fix just about everything on the XJ, why not the seats?
Any articles anywhere?

I had my front seat welds break and had an interior upholstery shop fix it, he pulled, uncovered, welded and reinforced the frame, put new firmer foam on it, reinstalled the covers and reinstalled the seat, $50....
The seat covers are the expensive part... I'd actually like to do mine, my drivers side has a couple of holes in it from a dropped soldering iron..

Last edited:
Not sure where you were headed with the power seat note, but I have a '89 Laredo with a power drivers seat.

Ok heres a question that has never been answered I think (or so my search says)..

What can be done to lower the seat as much as poss, or at least a 1" or more? Are there other seats, even the aftermarket variety, that will do this? I am 6'4 and my head is way high and with the cage is only about 1" lower then the top of the tube. And thats without a headliner.

Anyone with this experience?

ROBERTK said:
Ok heres a question that has never been answered I think (or so my search says)..

What can be done to lower the seat as much as poss, or at least a 1" or more? Are there other seats, even the aftermarket variety, that will do this? I am 6'4 and my head is way high and with the cage is only about 1" lower then the top of the tube. And thats without a headliner.

Cut and weld the stock bracket, or make your own.

ROBERTK said:

At the beginning of this thread it was stated:

- The seat rails on 84-94 are interchangeable and 95-01 are interchangeable.

I was told that there was a seat height change from 1996 to 1997 in a different forum. If this is true, would it stand to reason that swapping a 95-96 seat into a 98 would add more headroom?

ConnorMann said:
Recover Seat

No need to recover your seats just take them off soak them in Oxy Clean 4 to 5 scoops and soak for 48 to 72 hrs then put in washing machine and air dry.

In my case my son's 99 had vinyl seats that were cracking up. Looked sorry.
I bought a complete set of cloth seats for $125 from the local yard and they were dirty. Pulled the covers off, soaked them in Oxy and tide for about a day or so and they look so good, I can't believe it. The whole interior looks like new.
I only used the covers, and kept the rails as spares, dumped the rest.

Back