• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need responses

mud1059

NAXJA Forum User
I have the oppurtunity to purchase some land. 20 acres of forested land is all I know. It's out almost in the area of Packwood (mapquest it). Because this land is so far out there, it'd be for nothing but recreation. I'd use it for wheeling, camping, and hunting. Now I haven't seen this land yet, I assume it's a hillside due to location, not sure though. I'm skimming here for a response. Would people be willing to come out and build a couple trails and camping area? It's only 20 acres, but it would be "our" 20 acres - I've already decided it'd be open to you guys no question if I did buy it. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks guys for any advice or comments.
Paul

Honestly I don't think packwood is that far. I've been out in that area before, and I love it out there. I'd be totally down for getting in there and building some trails. And it would be really cool to have something that no one can shut us out of for wheelin at. I'd say go for it if it's not going to put a huge dent in your financial area.
It may take a while to get some groups together to go out there, but once it is completed it would be sweet to have like anual or meetings and such there/monthly runs. I'm sure you could make a wide range of different trails.
Only question i'd have is who can provide the construction equipment to make um.

Not trying to be a pooper here - In this "Lawsuit happy" world, ya gotta cover yer azz, ya know? You might want to check all your liabilities on this one. As a land owner, the full burden falls completely in your lap. Might be worth the couple C-notes to have an attorney check.

I assume it's near forest service land and potential residential land? Check the zoning laws out completely on your own (and I don't mean take the Realtors word on it...).

Good point Sniggs. Some realtors will lie and/or not check all the facts you request just to make a sale.

And that sounds pretty cool, even if it is all the way in BFE.

Are you wondering if you would get any help building trails? if yes my answer is hand me a freaking shovel and a chainsaw.
icon10.gif

I dont know you all but I think its a great Idea and I'd be more than willing to help. I have lots of tools and can get bobcat,exavator, or tractor rentals for relatively cheap. I agree w/ Sniggs. Talking to an attorney is not a bad idea. He'll probably tell you people will need to sign some kind of waver or something.
20 acres is not thar much. w/the proper equipment and enough guys you could knock it out in a long weekend.
-Miles,"Milo"-

I have been looking at some chuncks of land out in my area with the same ideas.

Came back to liability issues and insurance. When everything goes through, all I will have is my house, barns, and a tree farm.

You guys did bring up the liability thing. (thanks Mark) It would have come up eventually, but it hadn't crossed my mind yet. Nothing that couldn't be worked out one way or another. I'd write some more but I'm exhausted. Thanks for the responses guys, I'll get back to this thread after recovery.

sounds like a great idea Paul. I'd be up for that, totally. (I'm not a lawyer, by any means, but maybe you could do up liability forms we could sign to take any responsibility off of you if we were to get hurt or whatever) Anyway, if you end up with the land, it'd be awesome to set up our own trails and camp without other people around.

A great value of land in the PNW is the timber on it. If it is mature you can have it logged and turn a small profit. Unfortunately a lot of land is for sale because some one bought it, logged it and wants to turn it for more profit. Or even worse is the too common practice of "buying" the land, logging it and skipping out on the payments. That happens a lot in the recreational areas. I'd defenitely take a look at the land before you got too deep into plans.

Another thing to watch out for.

You must get the "Timber Rights"

Another trick is to sell the land to the buyer and in the process of Escrow, they strip off the timber. If you do not have the rights for the Timber you are SOL.

Back