• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips and ideas for opening up airbox/ cowl intake.

fordtech

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to open up my airbox, and possibly run it to the cowl area. I am doing this for more airflow into the box, and hopefully colder air. I also like the idea of water and mud not getting in as easy. Ive looked at quite a few posts for ideas, and will probably find more…

Initially, I just want to block off the front square shaped opening, and open up a round hole in the back (firewall side). I’m looking for ideas for what to use to finish off the hole…. Maybe a flange? What size? 3 inch?

Next I am looking for ideas for a hose to fit the above solution. Something like a shop vac hose…..

If I actually go through the firewall I would use the same flange idea above. I might just lift the back of the hood and come up with something there, like a cowl induction hood concept.

Final thought is I would like this all to be easily acquired at a hardware store or maybe one of those marine stores….some fab is expected.

Thanks!

Don't expect a performace gain, I didn't see any difference. ABS gutter material works well, about 2 3/4 diameter. Look at going off the engine side not the rear unless you have more room than I did.

also saw that when it rain all rain flows into cowl from windshield

I used a piece of sheetmetal riveted and RTV-ed into place. Successfully kept water out during a several-minute dunk in 4-1/2' of water.

ktilcu said:
also saw that when it rain all rain flows into cowl from windshield

Unless the drain is clogged that wont be an issue, the cowl doesn't fill up. I wont have the inlet pipe turned up either.

fordtech said:
Unless the drain is clogged that wont be an issue, the cowl doesn't fill up. I wont have the inlet pipe turned up either.
Yeah, and if/when that drain does clog up, you'll have a buttload of water on your passenger floorboard.

I used RV sewer hose & just got PVC fittings that fit it. JIM.
HPIM0187.jpg

They sell the old square air pipe they used on older jeeps at the auto parts store...you can also get the flanges off of older jeeps from the junkyard that fir the hose.

Back