• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm Back!

pSYChedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I'm back from my 3-weeks of fun in the snow in Colorado. Week one was avalanche training in Aspen, week two was classroom at Fort Carson, week three was skiing and field work at Keystone. I don't think I've ever seen a higher concentration of lifted XJ's as I did in Colorado Springs. It was total sensory overload!!

Unfortunately, things turned south for us during the field portion at Keystone. That arctic air that the news was making a big deal about arrived in Keystone and created -50F wind chills where we were training. Here's the local news report: http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20070202/NEWS/70202009

Both guys with frostbite will make a full recovery, despite one of them having 3rd degree frostbite on his fingers. It was crazy friggin cold.

Pics from the avalanche course are here. No pics from Keystone yet, I'll get those later on.

Sounds like lots has been going on since I left. Can't wait to catch up and get back on the trails!!

- Jay

Welcome back Jay. Sounds like you had a good time, glad you made it home safe. -50 is insane, I remember when I lived in Wyoming it was -30 with the windchill for a week. I have never felt anything like that before, or care to again for that matter.
Ryan

BTW your pics link does not seem to be working.

Welcome back Glad to see you have all your fingers and toes.

Ryan where did you live in Wyoming? Laramie WTI?
I served a 6 month term in WTI (Sept-April) In the rockies at 7200 feet in Jan. is COLD

XJourney said:
Welcome back Glad to see you have all your fingers and toes.

Ryan where did you live in Wyoming? Laramie WTI?
I served a 6 month term in WTI (Sept-April) In the rockies at 7200 feet in Jan. is rediculously mind numbing COLD

fixed it for you.
Yes, Laramie, WTI, one year. Never new you were a dirty Techer too:nono: :D.
I graduated in a december class, and my whole last month there it never broke 10 degree's. and that was without the windchill. We even had snow in August! I played Rec hockey when I was up there and some of the older guys used to tell storys from when they had an outdoor rink, aboutit being so cold out that pucks shattered when they hit the cross bar.

Last edited:
Hell yea I am dirty techer. I mean I am a cowboy from UW;) What year were you there? I was there Sept 96-April 97.

Cold is right My roomie and I would take a stock pot of boiling water throw it onto the sidewalk and it would freeze as soon as it stopped spreading. It made practical jokes a blast. :roflmao:

You ever go out to VeeDaVoo? We played/hunted out there alot.

XJourney said:
Hell yea I am dirty techer. I mean I am a cowboy from UW;) What year were you there? I was there Sept 96-April 97.

Cold is right My roomie and I would take a stock pot of boiling water throw it onto the sidewalk and it would freeze as soon as it stopped spreading. It made practical jokes a blast. :roflmao:

You ever go out to VeeDaVoo? We played/hunted out there alot.

Graduated and havent shaved since huh, I was there in 2003. I was actually on SAC and graduated with Jessie Combs, the girl on extreme 4x4. With Vedavoo/woo/shoo we had really spotty info what was legal and what wasnt so we just stayed away(not very techer, I know). We did go up above Centenial and camped and 4 wheeled alot. Roomie? you lived in student housing... sorry.
Ryan

Blkxjkrawler said:
Graduated and haven't shaved since.
Funny you say that I shaved once since and my wife hated it.

Blkxjkrawler said:
With Vedavoo/woo/shoo we had really spotty info what was legal and what wasn't so we just stayed away(not very techer, I know). We did go up above Centennial and camped and 4 wheeled alot.
When I was there it was totally legal. Meet the Sheriff there alot. Even did a SAR in Dec on Devil's Playground.
Blkxjkrawler said:
Roomie? you lived in student housing... sorry.

That was rough. Had to keep the liqueur in the toilet tank. Our RA was cool he knew where not to look ;)

Sometime we will have to get together around a campfire and tell lies about Laramie.

XJourney said:
Sometime we will have to get together around a campfire and tell lies about Laramie.
Definately, it was the funnest miserable experiance I've ever had.

I'll make sure to wear my "god loves techers.... and so does your daughter" t-shirt:D
Ryan

Blkxjkrawler said:
Definately, it was the funnest miserable experiance I've ever had.

I'll make sure to wear my "god loves techers.... and so does your daughter" t-shirt:D
Ryan

:laugh: NICE

Back