• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anybody hear of this

swany

NAXJA Forum User
my brother just bought a 92 cherokee with a 4.0 that has 111,576 on it. said it was smoking from the engine so i looked at it and the 2 valves on top of the valve cover have hoses that vent to the air not back to the intake manifold and air box. well that is where the smoke is comming from. i took off the oil fill cap and it was comming out there as well as the dip stick tube. no smoke out of the exhaust though? i am stumped unless running the tubes back to the intake will fix this. please help!!

Should be a sticker on the firewall to tell you vacuum hose routing.
My 92 has the one in the back going to the intake manifold( the book says it has a restrictor in it) for the crankcase vent/pvc.
The one in front goes to the air cleaner box.

so if we rout the hoses the way they should be will that get rid of the smoking? also can i get the hoses with restrictor from a parts store?

I think you can buy the restrictor at a dealer, maybe a parts house I would think it is a common item.
Also it should get rid of the crankcase fumes and smoke as long as it just the normal amount that all engines produce.

The PCV "orfice" is bad about stopping up and creating excessive blow-by. Get a new one from the dealer and keep a check on it for clogging.

Back