• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

January 27 or 28th Snow Run (Snoqualmie?)

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
I need to get my next snow run on the calander so that it isn't too long before it happens. I am thinking January 28th but might be able to make the 27th work or we could do the overnighter at the same time?

I am thinking Tinkham road, maybe two or three groups depending on the size of the party. Maybe run 1 group on the south side of I-5 and the other on the north side.

I am thinking 5-7 trucks per group is about right? Thoughts?

Matt, did I get the idea there might be some good spots to build igloo's up there when you were up there last time? (Big open areas?)

We could do a Sat run up to that area, build igloo's, trenches, etc, and then meet up early Sunday morning for those who are not spending the night?

Thoughts,
Comments,
Questions,
Who's In?

Michael

2xtreme said:
I need to get my next snow run on the calendar so that it isn't too long before it happens. I am thinking January 28th but might be able to make the 27th work or we could do the overnight-er at the same time?

I am thinking Tinkham road, maybe two or three groups depending on the size of the party. Maybe run 1 group on the south side of I-5 and the other on the north side.

I am thinking 5-7 trucks per group is about right? Thoughts?

Matt, did I get the idea there might be some good spots to build igloo's up there when you were up there last time? (Big open areas?)

We could do a Sat run up to that area, build igloo's, trenches, etc, and then meet up early Sunday morning for those who are not spending the night?

Thoughts,
Comments,
Questions,
Who's In?

Michael
I'm all over it. I might make an exploratory trip up there this weekend to see what the snow is like.

The last time I was up there, the road was plowed up the the shooting range, but they may have stopped that after the Christmas tree cutting season. The problem we ran into last time was that the snow just got too deep (5'-'6) and there was just no way to get any farther. However, there was a large area right there that could be used for igloos, it just wasn't very far up the mountain.

We didn't explore the North side, so I can't speak to the conditions there. Either way, I've really been looking forward to an overnight snow run. I assume you will not be bringing kids, Michael? Will you also be making some minimum requirements for participants, not only in vehicle specs, but also cold-weather preparedness?

In any event, sign me up! :)

-----Matt-----

This was the end of the road on our last Tinkham trip:

matt_buried.jpg

Sounds like an awesome idea. I've been waiting for an excuse to snow-camp! There should be PLENTY of snow up there for igloos/snow shelters. Only problem is I MIGHT be going out of town; too early to tell. However, if I'm here, I'm in!

- Jay

To be honest, this isn't really the way I would like to do the "hypothermia run" however, I think given the differing experience of the group I think it would be much safer to do it this way. I got the impression there was a large clearing out there and as long as that was a safe place to do the Igloo's then I think that could work well (last year it was not plowed, correct?) I have done LOTS of snow camping, and to be honest I am only interested in doing this if the group is seriously interested in building igloo's and camping in them (not in tents or Jeeps, unless absolutely necessary for safety).

Having said this, the snow conditions from the last run (Jack's Pass) were not workable for building Igloo's, so all of this is dependant on the condition and amount of snow.

Here is my thoughts; Leave Tinkham road exit 9:00ish on Sat morning with those who are intested in building Igloo's. Get up to the clearing area before 1:00pm to start building Igloo's and setting up camp. (I am not opossed to those who want to help/learn how to do this but do not want to spend the night coming up and leaving before it get's too dark) I do not want more than 12 people spending the night in 2 igloo's. In the morning, meet with the rest of the group just up for Sunday about 9:00ish. The igloo's need to be crushed before we leave on Sunday.

What would be required of people planning on camping:
1. Decent camping skills and experience
2. Excellent winter clothing and plenty of it
3. Good Winter sleeping bag
4. Tarps, groud cloths, blankets
5. snow saw, wood saws, shovels
6. Good physical shape, it is hard working building igloo's
7. Good stove and fuel
8. NO Excessive Alcohol (2 drinks max per person ALL day Sat)
9. A vehicle that is capable of getting up to the camping area.

Does this work?

Sunday would be a good time for the "formal NAXJA snow run" when we have multiple groups with varying capabilities of vehicles in several groups.

Michael

I'm in for Saturday (as long as you think I meet the requirements, Michael. ;)). I've been planning to get a really good cold-weather bag for a while. I got a couple hundred worth of REI gift certificates for Christmas with this express intent.

I'm pretty sure I'll head up to Tinkham this weekend and do some recce. The place where we stopped last trip was where two roads intersected and went around a large corner forming a large-ish clearing. It was big enough for 6 vehicles to maneuver around each other, so if that's where we end up it would work. I'd love to be able to go farther up the road because that spot is only a about 1/2 mile past the shooting range, which is about 4 miles past the bottom.

Here's the spot I'm talking about:

tinkham2.jpg

tinkham1.jpg

-----Matt-----

Unfortunately I have not seen the area, only what I have seen in your photos. And I will not have the ability to go out there before hand due to travel and other plans. But from the photos I have seen, I don't think it should be an issue.

On my last trip out to Tinkham we got stuck going up the big hill (Matt you were at the top with a few others, I was stuck behind the YJ). Where is this clearing in comparison to that? I assume it is significantly further off the hiway?

The North side of the road is the old pass road where you, me, Ian, a couple of others all had a shot at going for quite a while till we decided to turn back due to darkness (same area as where the Ford pick up was buried).

I think this area should give us plenty of options for multiple groups. And should work out with the camping as long as there is enough room for the igloo's (off of the road).

Matt, yes, you meet the requirements as long as you can hold off the beer:cheers:

Michael

I really like the camping idea. I also like the idea of keeping it small, and to more experienced persons.

If any can, I would suggest snow shoes. Makes walking around a lot easier, IMO. I just got some at Sams Club for like $55, and came with a small snow shovel.

Count me in for camping and sunday also.

2xtreme said:
On my last trip out to Tinkham we got stuck going up the big hill (Matt you were at the top with a few others, I was stuck behind the YJ). Where is this clearing in comparison to that? I assume it is significantly further off the hiway?
Correct; the spot shown in the pictures is several miles further up the hill, which actually gets steeper the further along you get. It looks like I'll be going up there with a few people Sunday for sure, so I'll report back after that and advise of the current conditions.

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
Correct; the spot shown in the pictures is several miles further up the hill, which actually gets steeper the further along you get. It looks like I'll be going up there with a few people Sunday for sure, so I'll report back after that and advise of the current conditions.

-----Matt-----

That is what I thought.
Perfect. Let us know what the snow is like up there!!

Snow shoes are useful, but since we will not be walking long distances and the camping area will very quickly become very packed they are useful but by no means necessary (if you have them, obviously bring them, but I don't want everybody to think they need to go buy them for this trip).

Michael

XJNana said:
Sunday sounds good to me. I'm pretty new.. can anyone give me some advice as far as what i'll need to bring, etc.

Id suggest: Warm clothes, extra clothes, extra food, warm sleeping bag, a few blankets, and basic first aid and survival stuff. Just incase something happens, and we have to stay the night out there.

Recovery gear of course. And basic spares and such.

Glad you can make it. Looking foward to meeting you!

Back