• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

annoying squeeky brakes!

dumbagain

NAXJA Forum User
just purchased a 97 xj 4.0L.

seller had recently put new brakes on and said they were squeeky.

it is way too annoying! would a better quality rotor and/or pad help out?
i've had noisy brakes before on my yj but never as noisy as these.
they squeek under light braking if i press harder and faster i dont get the noise.

Sounds like the brake hardware ("anti-rattle clips") are either missing or shot. You can buy those clips without buying new pads.

Also, make sure the rotor isn't very shiny and mirror-like. If he just put pads on without replacing or resurfacing the rotor, that can cause noise as well. If the rotor is pretty smooth and shiny, get them resurfaced or get new ones.

i've never used that anti squeel compound or the anti rattle clips and i've never had noisy brakes. every once in a while i'll get mud in my drum brakes and you'll hear it, but that's about it.

x2 on all of the above, if all of the clips are present and new, and anti squeal doesnt help, you can use a file and bevel the edges of the pad just a little bit this sometimes helps. but it just might come down to the nature of the pad.

Back