• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hella 500

the chariot

NAXJA Forum User
i just purchased hella 500's 55w lamps
icon_smile.gif
and i was wondering if my dad and i can install this. he knows his way around the tools and is a contractor. im just worried we will mess up the wiring or something. is it possible for me to run my headlights, fogs, and hellas all at the same time? or should i just remove my fogs and put the wire on my hellas? thank you once again

It should - I've not known Hella to not include it.

CAVEAT - Before you get started, check the contents of the kit, so you know what you need to finish it. You should have, at least:
(2) Lamp Assemblies
(1) Relay
(1) Relay Socket (may already be wired)
(1) Wiring Harness
(1) Switch
(2) Light Bulbs (may already be installed in lamp assmblies. If you need to install them - MAKE SURE you don't touch the bulb glass envelope! Wear latex gloves.)

Since you got Hellas, you may also have covers for the lights (DO NOT TURN ON THE LIGHTS WITH THE COVERS ON!) and the instructions should be quite detailed - if you know how to strip and crimp wire, you should be able to follow the instructions there.

I didn't look to see where you are, but if you're anywhere near San Jose, I don't see any reason why you couldn't cruise by for a little help...

5-90

the chariot said:
does a relay come with the kit?

These have everything in them that you will need. It is a very easy kit to install. The instructions that come with the kit are very straight forward and if your dad is a contractor this should be a lot easier than building a house. Yes it is possible to run all the lights together. If you wire the lights into your parking lights instead of the low beam as indicated you will be able to run the hella's and the high beams which is great for backroads with no street lights.

A very quick search yielded this article which may be of assistance.
http://www.jeepin.com/features/hella/

Regarding the question of whether you can run all of your lights at once...

Electricly... you want them all on separate circuits.

Legally... You will need to check your DOT vehicle specs to see if you can run more than 2 sets of lights and if they need to be covered when not in use. For example, here we are allowed a maximum of 2 sets of lights operating, and are to cover our off-road lights when not in use.

5-90, he is Missery so I doubt if he'll drop by soon. But, you never know...

Some state laws require that any light mounted above the headlights be covered when on the road.
Here in Pa and NJ, fogs have to be tied into the high/low beam switch and need to go off when the high beams are turned on. Rather a uninformed rule as the fogs shine UNDER the headlights.
Use the relay and mount it as close to the battery as possible, the relay will have a fuse built into it, bayonet type, I mounted mine on one of the fender screws between the battery and PDC on my 98. Mount the relay bottom side down or you will get condensation inside the relay housing which will short out the relay after a couple of months. Run the wires from the switch thru the firewall and either put it thru one of the grommets already there or drill a hole and use a rubber grommet, that way the sheet metal won't eat thru the wire.

i wanna wire it to a switch so i can turn them on whenever. normally i use my fogs and headlights when im driving. but i wanna use my hellas if its really rainy or whatever and low visablity. of course if i would ever want to use my hellas on the street i would turn off my fogs and use my hellas. im excited dudes.

I'm only 30 and I cant read that! Does that make me an "old Fawker"? If it wasn't for the fact that I can read schematics I'd be clueless :D

Pat

Littlewhitexj said:
here it is

00088073.jpg

Yea, and put a fuse in between pin 30 and the battery, close to the battery.

it is very easy, took me and my dad about a day to do, but he wired it real good, cuz he never does it half fast. but it real easy with the wiring diagram that came with it. good luck. btw the hellas light work real good.

Back