NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 27th, 2006, 22:13
NAXJA Forum User

One reason the TNT Longarm kit sucks:

OK, so this longarm argument goes on EVERYWHERE, all the time. From an installer standpoint, I've already said that the Clayton's kit is WAY easier to install. Today proves my point even more. Matt's (IXNAYXJ) Cherokee toasted the throw-out bearing, so a clutch job was in order. Rather than unbolting the stock crossmember or the Clayton's crossmember to gain transmission access, the front control arms had to be unbolted, lowered, front axle supported, etc. This added a little time to the normal clutch job for us doing it in the shop, on the lift. This would make a home/driveway clutch job MUCH MUCH more difficult. While I'll admit it wasn't QUITE as difficult as anticipated, my vote for Longarms on an XJ continues to be for the Clayton's Offroad kit. This is NOT a job I would want to be doing in my driveway.

PICS:

Old June 27th, 2006, 22:27
NAXJA Member #1289

Re: One reason the TNT Longarm kit sucks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avanteone
OK, so this longarm argument goes on EVERYWHERE, all the time. From an installer standpoint, I've already said that the Clayton's kit is WAY easier to install. Today proves my point even more. Matt's (IXNAYXJ) Cherokee toasted the throw-out bearing, so a clutch job was in order. Rather than unbolting the stock crossmember or the Clayton's crossmember to gain transmission access, the front control arms had to be unbolted, lowered, front axle supported, etc. This added a little time to the normal clutch job for us doing it in the shop, on the lift. This would make a home/driveway clutch job MUCH MUCH more difficult. While I'll admit it wasn't QUITE as difficult as anticipated, my vote for Longarms on an XJ continues to be for the Clayton's Offroad kit. This is NOT a job I would want to be doing in my driveway.

PICS:

I agree..... I just did a t-case swap on the garage floor. It didnt take as long as I was expecting but it was quite the PITA! I didnt unbolt the arms from the belly pan though. I just supported the arms and let the pan hang from the the suspended arms. Kinda like in the last picture, only I folded it all the way under and resupprted the pan.

Aaron
Old June 27th, 2006, 22:33
NAXJA Forum User

Did he also get his front pass side axle replaced too?
Old June 27th, 2006, 22:46
NAXJA Forum User

I think TNT's slogan should be... NOT FOR CRYBABIES!

I had to drop mine out about two weeks ago for some mods and, you know what? It took about 20 extra minutes. IF THAT LONG. Anyone with an inkling of mechanical ability knows the TNT kit makes it harder to do repairs. Big deal, give me the wrench next time.

It is well worth the extra time. You could drop my entire Jeep on that bellypan, and watch the Jeep body fold while the pan stays straight.

OH, BTW, what's the other reason they suck? Grow some mechanical ability.

Last edited by Dirt; June 27th, 2006 at 22:56.
Old June 27th, 2006, 23:02
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt
I think TNT's slogan should be... NOT FOR CRYBABIES!

I had to drop mine out about two weeks ago for some mods and, you know what? It took about 20 extra minutes. IF THAT LONG. Anyone with an inkling of mechanical ability knows the TNT kit makes it harder to do repairs. Big deal, give me the wrench next time.

It is well worth the extra time. You could drop my entire Jeep on that bellypan, and watch the Jeep body fold while the pan stays straight.

OH, BTW, what's the other reason they suck? Grow some mechanical ability.
For what it's worth. John (Avanteone) owns his own auto repair shop. I think he has some mechanical abilities.
Old June 27th, 2006, 23:06
NAXJA Member

Yeah......get a low clearance long arm kit with mounts that attach below the frame which hurts ground clearance and break over angle, rather than a nice well engineered high clearance long arm setup with a sturdy flat belly pan. Ease of replacing a clutch once in a blue moon is WAY more important than trail performance every time you go wheeling.

Amazing lack of understanding of true priorities displayed by the poster of this thread.
Thanks to , Falken Tires, Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines, Ten Factory Axles, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, BILSTEIN, Raceline Wheels, WARN, G&G Auto Repair/Off Road, Yukon Gear and Axle, Full Traction, Cal, Russ, James, and many, many others.
Old June 27th, 2006, 23:08
NAXJA Forum User

pavement pounder? sure, get the Clayton's, it's a good kit.

but personally I would MUCH rather spend the extra 1/2 hour (or even 5 hours) on a very occasional clutch job in order to have the significant improvement in ground clearance.
Old June 27th, 2006, 23:19
NAXJA Forum User

Agreed with Brett and Goat totally---------------Kyle
Old June 28th, 2006, 01:07
DILIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadman83
Agreed with Brett and Goat totally---------------Kyle
Yeah what they said.....quite you whining Im sure you over billed for the ADDED labor........
Old June 28th, 2006, 04:06
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettM
pavement pounder? sure, get the Clayton's, it's a good kit.

but personally I would MUCH rather spend the extra 1/2 hour (or even 5 hours) on a very occasional clutch job in order to have the significant improvement in ground clearance.
x2
Old June 28th, 2006, 04:16
NAXJA Forum User

well said!..someone is just pissed because they had to "work" a bit harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatman
Yeah......get a low clearance long arm kit with mounts that attach below the frame which hurts ground clearance and break over angle, rather than a nice well engineered high clearance long arm setup with a sturdy flat belly pan. Ease of replacing a clutch once in a blue moon is WAY more important than trail performance every time you go wheeling.

Amazing lack of understanding of true priorities displayed by the poster of this thread.
Old June 28th, 2006, 05:22
NAXJA Forum User

This is awesome! I haven't been here long enough to say anything, but I was thinking it. I'm loving the tnt kit and if I wasn't going with custom radius arms I would definately be going that route. The clearance is amazing!

Avanteone if you thought that was bad, try pulling the tranny out of something that's TRULY flat bellied. I guess strong high clearance stuff aint for everyone.
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:37
NAXJA Forum User

I like the TNT kit, but I'm glad I went with Clayton. Say what you will.
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:43
NAXJA Forum User

You could just get the Full Traction kit and call it good, lol. The arms are awesome sliders and the mounting style lets you pull trannies all day!
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:55
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avanteone