NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 27th, 2006, 22:13
Avanteone's Avatar
Avanteone Avanteone is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 2,335
One reason the TNT Longarm kit sucks:

OK, so this longarm argument goes on EVERYWHERE, all the time. From an installer standpoint, I've already said that the Clayton's kit is WAY easier to install. Today proves my point even more. Matt's (IXNAYXJ) Cherokee toasted the throw-out bearing, so a clutch job was in order. Rather than unbolting the stock crossmember or the Clayton's crossmember to gain transmission access, the front control arms had to be unbolted, lowered, front axle supported, etc. This added a little time to the normal clutch job for us doing it in the shop, on the lift. This would make a home/driveway clutch job MUCH MUCH more difficult. While I'll admit it wasn't QUITE as difficult as anticipated, my vote for Longarms on an XJ continues to be for the Clayton's Offroad kit. This is NOT a job I would want to be doing in my driveway.

PICS:






Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old June 27th, 2006, 22:27
99xjache's Avatar
99xjache 99xjache is offline
NAXJA Member #1289
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 1,002
Re: One reason the TNT Longarm kit sucks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avanteone
OK, so this longarm argument goes on EVERYWHERE, all the time. From an installer standpoint, I've already said that the Clayton's kit is WAY easier to install. Today proves my point even more. Matt's (IXNAYXJ) Cherokee toasted the throw-out bearing, so a clutch job was in order. Rather than unbolting the stock crossmember or the Clayton's crossmember to gain transmission access, the front control arms had to be unbolted, lowered, front axle supported, etc. This added a little time to the normal clutch job for us doing it in the shop, on the lift. This would make a home/driveway clutch job MUCH MUCH more difficult. While I'll admit it wasn't QUITE as difficult as anticipated, my vote for Longarms on an XJ continues to be for the Clayton's Offroad kit. This is NOT a job I would want to be doing in my driveway.

PICS:







I agree..... I just did a t-case swap on the garage floor. It didnt take as long as I was expecting but it was quite the PITA! I didnt unbolt the arms from the belly pan though. I just supported the arms and let the pan hang from the the suspended arms. Kinda like in the last picture, only I folded it all the way under and resupprted the pan.

Aaron
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old June 27th, 2006, 22:33
CanMan's Avatar
CanMan CanMan is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lake Tapps, WA
Posts: 8,442
Re: One reason the TNT Longarm kit sucks:

Did he also get his front pass side axle replaced too?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old June 27th, 2006, 22:46
Dirt's Avatar
Dirt Dirt is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 1,358
Re: One reason the TNT Longarm kit sucks:

I think TNT's slogan should be... NOT FOR CRYBABIES!

I had to drop mine out about two weeks ago for some mods and, you know what? It took about 20 extra minutes. IF THAT LONG. Anyone with an inkling of mechanical ability knows the TNT kit makes it harder to do repairs. Big deal, give me the wrench next time.

It is well worth the extra time. You could drop my entire Jeep on that bellypan, and watch the Jeep body fold while the pan stays straight.


OH, BTW, what's the other reason they suck? Grow some mechanical ability.

Last edited by Dirt; June 27th, 2006 at 22:56.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old June 27th, 2006, 23:02
Matt98XJ's Avatar
Matt98XJ Matt98XJ is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sanford Stadium, row 5.
Posts: 629
Re: One reason the TNT Longarm kit sucks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt
I think TNT's slogan should be... NOT FOR CRYBABIES!

I had to drop mine out about two weeks ago for some mods and, you know what? It took about 20 extra minutes. IF THAT LONG. Anyone with an inkling of mechanical ability knows the TNT kit makes it harder to do repairs. Big deal, give me the wrench next time.

It is well worth the extra time. You could drop my entire Jeep on that bellypan, and watch the Jeep body fold while the pan stays straight.


OH, BTW, what's the other reason they suck? Grow some mechanical ability.
For what it's worth. John (Avanteone) owns his own auto repair shop. I think he has some mechanical abilities.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old June 27th, 2006, 23:06
Goatman's Avatar
Goatman Goatman is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 11,440
Re: One reason the TNT Longarm kit sucks:

Yeah......get a low clearance long arm kit with mounts that attach below the frame which hurts ground clearance and break over angle, rather than a nice well engineered high clearance long arm setup with a sturdy flat belly pan. Ease of replacing a clutch once in a blue moon is WAY more important than trail performance every time you go wheeling.

Amazing lack of understanding of true priorities displayed by the poster of this thread.
__________________
TEAM/PETTY CASHRacing........2013 Ultra4 Stock Class National Champions
Check out the TEAM Facebook page for the full story of our 2013 winning season: https://www.facebook.com/Team
Thanks to , Falken Tires, Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines, Ten Factory Axles, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, BILSTEIN, Raceline Wheels, WARN, G&G Auto Repair/Off Road, Yukon Gear and Axle, Full Traction, Cal, Russ, James, and many, many others.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old June 27th, 2006, 23:08
BrettM's Avatar
BrettM BrettM is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: michifornia
Posts: 6,961
Re: One reason the TNT Longarm kit sucks:

pavement pounder? sure, get the Clayton's, it's a good kit.

but personally I would MUCH rather spend the extra 1/2 hour (or even 5 hours) on a very occasional clutch job in order to have the significant improvement in ground clearance.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old June 27th, 2006, 23:19
offroadman83's Avatar
offroadman83 offroadman83 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edinburg Texas
Posts: 836
Re: One reason the TNT Longarm kit sucks:

Agreed with Brett and Goat totally---------------Kyle
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old June 28th, 2006, 01:07
jrsxj98's Avatar
jrsxj98 jrsxj98 is offline
DILIGAF
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Crawlorado
Posts: 2,103
Re: One reason the TNT Longarm kit sucks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadman83
Agreed with Brett and Goat totally---------------Kyle
Yeah what they said.....quite you whining Im sure you over billed for the ADDED labor........
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old June 28th, 2006, 04:06
JnJ JnJ is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 2,569
Re: One reason the TNT Longarm kit sucks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettM
pavement pounder? sure, get the Clayton's, it's a good kit.

but personally I would MUCH rather spend the extra 1/2 hour (or even 5 hours) on a very occasional clutch job in order to have the significant improvement in ground clearance.
x2
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old June 28th, 2006, 04:16
mack's Avatar
mack mack is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: gone fishin....
Posts: 1,540
Re: One reason the TNT Longarm kit sucks:

well said!..someone is just pissed because they had to "work" a bit harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatman
Yeah......get a low clearance long arm kit with mounts that attach below the frame which hurts ground clearance and break over angle, rather than a nice well engineered high clearance long arm setup with a sturdy flat belly pan. Ease of replacing a clutch once in a blue moon is WAY more important than trail performance every time you go wheeling.

Amazing lack of understanding of true priorities displayed by the poster of this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old June 28th, 2006, 05:22
ncmerk ncmerk is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Taylorsville, NC
Posts: 31
Re: One reason the TNT Longarm kit sucks:

This is awesome! I haven't been here long enough to say anything, but I was thinking it. I'm loving the tnt kit and if I wasn't going with custom radius arms I would definately be going that route. The clearance is amazing!

Avanteone if you thought that was bad, try pulling the tranny out of something that's TRULY flat bellied. I guess strong high clearance stuff aint for everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:37
Matt98XJ's Avatar
Matt98XJ Matt98XJ is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sanford Stadium, row 5.
Posts: 629
Re: One reason the TNT Longarm kit sucks:

I like the TNT kit, but I'm glad I went with Clayton. Say what you will.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:43
53guy's Avatar
53guy 53guy is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: EnTransit
Posts: 2,158
Re: One reason the TNT Longarm kit sucks:

You could just get the Full Traction kit and call it good, lol. The arms are awesome sliders and the mounting style lets you pull trannies all day!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:55
planefixer's Avatar
planefixer planefixer is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 3,479
Re: One reason the TNT Longarm kit sucks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avanteone
OK, so this longarm argument goes on EVERYWHERE, all the time. From an installer standpoint, I've already said that the Clayton's kit is WAY easier to install. Today proves my point even more. Matt's (IXNAYXJ) Cherokee toasted the throw-out bearing, so a clutch job was in order. Rather than unbolting the stock crossmember or the Clayton's crossmember to gain transmission access, the front control arms had to be unbolted, lowered, front axle supported, etc. This added a little time to the normal clutch job for us doing it in the shop, on the lift. This would make a home/driveway clutch job MUCH MUCH more difficult. While I'll admit it wasn't QUITE as difficult as anticipated, my vote for Longarms on an XJ continues to be for the Clayton's Offroad kit. This is NOT a job I would want to be doing in my driveway.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good reason to get a CCW black89xj Non-Tech / Off Topic 27 October 26th, 2005 14:12
Engine shut off for no reason? MG_43 OEM Tech Discussion 7 September 30th, 2005 06:54
A good reason (not) to wash your car. Hiaboo Non-Tech / Off Topic 10 December 8th, 2004 14:13
is there any reason this would not..... imma honky Modified Tech Discussion 7 December 11th, 2003 00:01


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
NAXJA and NAXJA logo's Copyright NAXJA. All content/images Copyright NAXJA 1999-2014