• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

almost 0 oil pressure but running fine

y-townxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i got my xj, half way lifted monday night, so i could drive it for my last day of school on tuesday. On my way home, from the shop i lost all the oil pressure ''turning onto my street'', after about a 35 to 40 minute drive throught the city. ''keep in mind the front of the xj is lifted 4.5 '' and the rear is stock so it was at a mean angle''. Anyway i reset the gauge and it came back up about a querter of the way and just sat there never fluctuated when revead or driven ext... My question is could this be the gauge just being queer or is my xj dun. Any info apreciated thanks

From my experience I would say the gauge. I would start with a new sending unit for the gauge and see if it makes a difference. From what you described when resetting it I would start here. If it doesn’t fix it you may have a bigger problem like oil pump.

thanks for the input i have a toyota gauge that oim gonna hook up if i can find it but if not i will look into teh sending unit, is that the part teh gauge hooks up to on the motor

The gauge sending unit is the black cigar-shaped thingy just above the oil filter that has a single-wire connector attached. You can't miss it. Changing it should solve the problem. If it doesn't, I suspect the oil pump pick-up screen may be blocked.

thanks if its not the sending unit can i just pull the oil pan and see if the pickup is clogged and if so pull it and clean the screan...thanks

y-townxj said:
thanks if its not the sending unit can i just pull the oil pan and see if the pickup is clogged and if so pull it and clean the screan...thanks

Yes but if the engine's done a high mileage, you're better off replacing the oil pump altogether. If there's enough debris blocking the pick-up screen, you can guarantee that smaller particles would have gotten through causing the oil pump gears to wear out.

jeep wont run at less than 13 or so psi...

thats what it needs to keep the lifters up

so its the sender or gauge

Even close to 13 they tend to make a lot of noise. If you really had 0 LB of oil presser your would not have driven far before lockup.

I've had the same problem for a while now. Jeep runs at 40 till about 25 mins into a trip then it drops to 0. Still runs fine. When I give it gas it goes up to about 20. Just gone done changing out the oil pump. Didn't help much. Now it stays at about 10psi. Havn't check the sending unit yet. If that's not it I'm out of ideas.

PoSxJ said:
I've had the same problem for a while now. Jeep runs at 40 till about 25 mins into a trip then it drops to 0. Still runs fine. When I give it gas it goes up to about 20. Just gone done changing out the oil pump. Didn't help much. Now it stays at about 10psi. Havn't check the sending unit yet. If that's not it I'm out of ideas.

Check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge and if it's still very low, it's because the rod/main bearings are severaly worn.

Back