• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring Diagram Color Codes

dmillion

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have a source for de-coding the color codes in the FSM wiring diagrams? In particular, the wire I'm looking for is DB/WT. Well, I can figure out that the wt probably means white (unless maybe it's waxy tan), but what about db? Dark blue? Dark brown? Or maybe delicate butternut (which my wife swears is a real color!)?

I have the FSM, but if there's a legend in there anywhere for these color codes I haven't been able to find it!

BK=Black
BR=Brown
DB=Dark Blue(in some cases Definitely Blonde)
DG=Dark Green
GY=Gray
LB=Light Blue
LG=Light Green
OR=Orange
PK=Pink
RD=Red
TN=Tan
VT=Violet
WT=White
YL=Yellow

DB/WT is a Dark Blue wire with a White tracer/stripe.

When a single colour is given, it's a solid colour. When two colours are given, the first is the "base" colour, and the second is the "tracer" colour - a "tracer" being a thin stripe of a different (often contrasting) colour, used to reduce the number of colours used and simplify wiring. Sometimes, a group of wires with the same base colour but different tracers are used to "logically organise" wiring - at least, if the designer knows what the Hell he's about.

Three letter colour codes were a lot simpler, and I still use them in "translations." At least they dropped the idea of two or three tracers to a wire! I've seen that... Most irritating when they used different colours for each tracer...

5-90

So, does DC publish this code list anywhere, or do they just assume that people will be able to figure it out? I always wondered what a VT wire was, when I looked at the diagrams, and then one day I saw a purple wire in the harness and figured it must not be "purple," it must be "violet" (VT)! SHEESH!

I think it's considered "common knowledge" with "professional" mechanics - at least, those who have been to school, or have at least a year or so of automotive electrical work behind them. I've not seen a key anywhere - and I really do think the three-letter codes make more sense. BLU = Blue. BRN = Brown. GRN = Green. BLK = Black. And so on.

I think they went to the current two-letter codes to save dosh on printing - some damn beancounter again. I think it was Mickey Thompson who said, "Your job is to keep track of my beans, not tell me what to do with them!"

5-90

It's in my 1995 FSM under section 8W1 - Wiring Diagrams General Information. My 88 and 93 FSM has it in a section called "Wiring Diagrams Symbols - How To Use The Wiring Diagrams". Really, it's there somewhere. :}

Back