• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Exhaust Manifold mugshots (Is this a knock-off of a Banks Header?)

92DripCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Below is the link to the Auto Parts Network stainless steel jeep exhaust manifold. No manufacturer name is listed, nor the stainless alloy, (probably cheap 409). But It looks exactly like a banks header and it's listed at an impossible $160.

http://www.autopn.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idProduct=20009

The cheap exhaust manifold looks like exactly like a banks header as in the below picture. Right down to the bends and the middle pair of exhaust tubes sharing a solid flange.

http://www.totalparadox.com/jeep/pics/mods/banks_header/dsc00009.jpg

So what's anyone's guess? Is this cheap AUTO PN manifold a copy, or is Auto PN simply showing the wrong picture? No way they sell a Banks header for $160, so WTF?

(Im looking for a good replacement to my XJ's cracked exhaust manifold, I distrust the ones with vibration joints because of the extra welds.)

What Langer says is quite possible. The Chinese will sell to anyone, even if they have an exclusive relationship with a company to produce a product. They just don't care, as long as you've got money to buy it, then they'll sell it.

For anyone who read this thread and had trouble with the links:

I clicked the hyperlinks i posted earlier, they all work, and the questionable site autopn.com site is still up. Im just gonna call these guys and pry it out of them, who makes the manifold and what stainless alloy it is.

Otherwise I'm not buying that $160 (chinese shi'ite) manifold!

(Like anyone here like me has $500 to spare on a borla or banks for a jeep worth $1000 with gas in it!)

Last edited:
the first link is working now, site must have been down the other day.
It sure does look the same. One feature you can id the banks by is the one piece flange
(not welded in the middle). Anyway good question if they copied the disign or just stole the picture..or got a really good wholesale price..

I like the longer tubes on that....a little powder coat...one piece flange...Hmmmm. I agree with Langer and MJ....I get daily e-mls from a surplus parts broker... if you want to buy something you have to go thru the broker, except in the case of the Chinese manufacturers, send them an e-ml to ask a ques. and they'll send you back another web site to get in touch with them and bypass the broker.
It says "kit" on that header...I have seen some that come as a kit and need to welded together, I wonder if that is the case with this one.

Last edited:
i saw one on e-bay for about a hundred bucks. i think some guy out in Washington state makes them. not sure if any of these we are talkin about are good for performance though. a Banks knock off may be ok though?

I am wondering how long it would take to remove the old one and install the new one ??
anyone done this recently ..just curious how long it would take me??

Here, I set the photos side by side:

1137210230_uploadpixels.com_header_comparison.jpg

This $159 manifold also has me curious enough to keep eyeing it, but with trepidations.

It comes with studs, nuts and gaskets, but no warranty...and the stainless alloy is not mentioned. The alloy its made of is not some trivial fact for metallurgists, it literally means how long you have before corrosion causes a leak. Even 304 will eventually fail from sulphuric acid in the exhaust, so if this thing is made of Chinese grade 409, it may rust on its insides like mild steel.

I emailed Auto Parts Network asking who manufactures it , and got no reply, so I'm not eager to break studs one weekend to put on of these Chinese look-alikes..

But that price! And its a tri-Y that proably flows nicely...what a booger.

Whether this thing is Chinese, or a hand-fabbed part made in Washington, its a damn fine copy of a Banks header, and a shame it has no warranty. I smell soy!

No one wants to put a third exhaust manifold on their XJ.

I bet if you call a bunch of authorized Banks dealers they wont be able to tell you the grade of stainless either.

I've put alot of manifolds on as a mechanic. Most are made in china. With the flex part I've never had one fail. As for the rust issue, I've never seen a factory manifold of any brand rust or corrode out. Are all factory manifolds SS?

Back