• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Issues with 30ish tires on a stock 01 xj.

Shaggy's XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Been researching old posts but still can't decide on few things so....

Stock 2001 4.0 aw4, d30, 8.25, 3.55's with pass car 225x75x15" tires.

01XJ.jpg

Would like to get by without a lift using the stock wheels, but it sounds like 30x9.50's may have some issues on the later XJ's with slight rubbing at the LCA's and maybe some around the rear fenders when loaded. A little rub at the LCA's won't bother me, but what are the contact points around the rear fender's? This is a daily driver with no plans for any heavy offroad use, but it will be wheeled on occasion. A budget 2" spacer, AAl lift has not been ruled out, but this won't cure potential LCA rub.

I am also debating on a set of these wheels (stock wheels have some curb rash) with something close to a 30x9.50 tire, but this changes the 5.25" oem backspacing and 7" wheel width. What issues would this wheel tire setup create or cure? More fender rub with less LCA rub is my thought? Thanks
AEV CHARCOAL 5 STAR WHEEL 16X8 5X4.5
p35733.JPG

You are going to spend the bucks on a set of those AEV's wow... I'd go with a an Old Man Emu lift then run 30's or even 31's with no issues except you might want to put a washer or two behind the steering stop bolts...

Anything other than the factory wheels will make things WORSE with a stock suspension, not better.

In the front, you may have slight rubbing of the lower control arms. This is tolerable, especially if the tread isn't too aggressive. Put a set of Swampers on there, and the tire lugs on the shoulder will cause serious havoc if you turn too sharp.

In the rear, I had no problems running 30s on my 88 with stock suspension. The new body style either reduced the wheel arch opening slightly, and/or moved the location of the centering pin in the springs. The interference point is at the bottom rear corner of the flare. A wheel with less backspacing will not alleviate this, it will only move the tire out so that you hit the center of the tread rather than the shoulder. If you run tires that don't have a super aggressive tread, it shouldn't be a big problem. Again, something like Swampers will cause quite a ruckus back there.

You might look at 235/75s. There is very little dimensional difference between those and 30s. It won't hurt you off-road, and may make the tires a bit more friendly to a stock suspension.

I run 235's on a stock suspension with zero issues. They're something like 29.4 inches. Not quite a 30 incher. But no issues at all. And this is on a 98' XJ. I find that the 235's give the truck a nice stance. Not too small, not too big. Actually looking into getting some new rubber right now. 235's again. Most likely gonna give the Cooper ATR's a try. I really like the tread pattern and the way they look.

My main problem is that I want to add a 4.5" long arm lift and 32" tires, but that adds some 4.11's, lockers, a SYE and shafts to the list. Then I'll be looking at an ARB front bumper, a nice winch, roof rack, skids, lights.....

Just trying to start out simple. LOL

I might just have to swap to a old set of 235's I have on another truck and see if I'll be happy with that tire size for awhile.

I have a 87 and have 30x9.50 Mich on stock rims and have had 500lbs of concrete in the rear and had no rubs in rear, just had to move the steering stops a few turns to keep the front happy.

Hey Shaggy,

Nice lookin' ride! May I suggest going with the 235's for now and get your skid protection happening? I've got a '89/90 (dmv can't decide which) and ran 235's with zero rubbing. I've switched to 30's on tj alloys (don't know the back spacing) and carrying approx 100lbs. of stuff in/on the jeep rub when I hit dips too hard. (gotta slow down for those more often). That setup won't cause you any grief rub wise and won't be significantly less off road capable than 30's. That'll allow you some time to get your bank account ready for the 4.5"/32's assault.

My .02

Good Wheelin' to ya,
Cherokid

Sorry to hijack...
How do you adjust the steering stops? I've got an 87 MJ with 31x10.5 wheels on wagoneer rims, with a slight ub at full lock. I just need a little (like 1/2" of wheel turn) less.

I'd like to get 30s also, but make sure to check the actual diameters of the tires you like. It seems to me that most 30s' diameters work out to about 29.6" or less. I really like the Firestone Destination MTs or Cooper Discoverer STTs, but they are really close to true 30s necessitating a small lift. With a '99 on 235 BFG ATs (true 29" static height, 27.5" rolling height with a full-size spare and about 150# of gear), I went most of the same places last weekend that a TJ on 32s did. The difference was skid protection--I have some; he had none. I banged arounda bit, but I took almost all the same lines and never took a strap. Here's a pic from the wegotmud.com site from that day. Nothing exciting, just maybe an idea of what 235s will look like.
mounds.jpg

The rear fender rub is on the inside edge of the fender. I had 255/70/16 Firestone AT's on my 00 Classic when I bought it. These tires are almost an inch wider than the 30x9.5 and I think the width was the biggest culprit with the rubbing. Also, these tires were a tad taller than your typical 30" tire. Even with these wide tires it only barely caught the inside edge of the fender when the jeep was loaded down (400lb in the back). Nothing to be too bothered about, just a little annoying.

If I bought new tires today and my rims were 15", I wouldn't hesitate to put on 30" tires. Right now I have 235/70/16 and there is absolutely no rubbing.

here is what my 01 xj with stock suspension looks like with a 235 70 16 tire set up with rubicon rims. i plan on a 2 inch budget lift with the 1 3/4 inch spacer and 2 inch add a leaf soon. Im not sure if want to stick with a 235 70 16 or try a 235 75 16. I want a little bit bigger but not to big. the 235 series fills the wheel well nicely for a stock or im sure slightly modded xj.
RandomPictures041.jpg

I had an '01 and ran 235/75r15 Goodyears on it with no rubbing anywhere. Not the best pic, but here it is:

foq894.jpg

Im getting ready to swap to 235s... That and a 2" BB should set it up looking pretty good, and at least give it better trailability! I drug bottom on mine with 225 and stock susp. Doh!

Put some 30x9.50-15's on it. Fronts touch the lca's and the rears rub the front and rear of the of the edge of the fender flairs. Looks like I will need to trim some even when I get the BB installed.

Pointing uphill slightly with 3-400lbs in the back.

30x950s.jpg

Fine for the mall, but not stuffed.

30x950s2.jpg

Back