NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old September 19th, 2005, 11:59
NAXJA Forum User

AX5 Rebuild Time?

My 85 XJ 4WD transmission is finally toast, although everything else stock (including 2.8L V-6) is still running strong. Can anyone give me a rough estimate for time and effort to rebuild an AX-5 transmission?

I ordered the AX 4/5 Transmission Repair Manual and hope that will give me a rough idea. It sounds and feels like at least 2nd and 3rd will need repair, so I could be looking at significant costs.

A rebuilt or used transmission might be in order. Can I assume the an AX-5 from a later-model-year YJ or XJ will match my 2.8L V-6?
Old September 19th, 2005, 15:17
NAXJA Forum User

Re: AX5 Rebuild Time?

Up to '96 will interchange w/o much trouble. Shifter tower changed after that. If it's the input shaft that went bad, you can almost guarantee the countershaft is toasted too. If you can find a Dodge Dakota with 4 cyl 5 speed, you can use that bellhousing/clutch stuff for an AX-15 upgrade.
I'm about to send several 2wd AX-5s for scrap metal as they are too common around here and no-one wanted to buy them for $40 apiece.
Old September 19th, 2005, 21:16
NAXJA Forum User

Re: AX5 Rebuild Time?

Carnuck, thanks for the reply. All the gears still drive but there is an intermittent screech in 1st through 3rd and sometimes reverse. The parts that came out look like a synchro or snap ring. Perhaps the input shaft is still okay, but hard to say without looking.

The Mantrans.com main plant is just 90 miles away in Tallahassee FL so I might pull the tranny and swap them for a rebuilt.

A salvage yard here actually quoted $650 for a used transmission from a 4 cylinder YJ--the same price of a rebuilt from ManTrans, which comes with a warranty. Not a hard choice there...