• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96- to 97+ Console Swap Write Up

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys my console swap is finally close to done and I have pics! I now have a 1998 XJ's console in my 1990. The swap was fairly straightforward(as far as I went) although as of right now I have no emergency brake and weak rear air. I'll try to explain what I did with each picture.

Here is what the 97+bracket and rear air duct look like.
DuctResized.jpg

The 97+ rear air duct falls about 1.5" short of the actual dash duct-hence why I have weak rear air.
DuctCloseUpResized.jpg

This shows the gap at the front of the console-the new one is shorter than the old one because the 97+ dash came out further.
GapofConsoleResized.jpg

As you can see here I don't have an E-Brake right now because I still need to get one from a 97+. The handle needs to be moved to the left about 1" to fit into the new console slot. For right now its providing a nice home for my sunflower seeds though.Sorry, I'm a jackass.
TopViewofConsoleResized.jpg

Other views....
SideViewofConsoleResized.jpg

RearViewofConsoleResized.jpg

So time to compare/contrast...

The Ups....
1.Bigger cupholders-easily fits a 20oz. pop bottle for example.
2.Cupholders that don't interfere with anything-leg room or console lid closing.
3.Taller all around.
4.CD slots in console storage-for me this was a big one, I hate having the damn visor things for CDs, I don't know why, they just bother me.
5.A lot easier and quicker to take out-no separating insert from main body and remembering which size screw goes where-1 piece console and all the same thread of screw.
6.Flip storage/Ashtray in the middle of the console.(in front of the cupholders)

The Downs...
1. The gap at the front-I'm trying to figure out a way to fill this with something, but at the same time it really doesn't bother me very much.
2. Weak rear air-I will for sure find a way to extend that duct to reach the dash duct. I will probably hack my old one apart and somehow mold the two together.
3. Having to move e-brake-I'm sure this is a fairly easy fix with a sawzall and 3 hours of a Saturday.
4. Loosey goosey ars end of the console-the bracket is only fastened by two screws to the floor and then the center console bucket is fastened with 2 screws to the bracket. I'm sure this would be easily enough fixed with drilling a hole in the bracket's 3rd leg, in the floorboard and then inserting a screw.
5. Gear shifter bracket won't line up-For me this wasn't a problem.I have actually swapped a 97+ gear shifter assembly into mine also. I like the bent assembly better than 96-'s straight ones. If you want the gear shift bracket to line up you will either have to swap a 97+ assembly in or move the bracket on your old assembly.

What you need to grab from the 97+ unit...
1. Console Shell
2. Storage Bucket that fits in console
3. Console Lid AND LATCH-that isn't broken.
4. Gear Shifter and T-Case Bezel
5. Rear Air Duct
6. E-Brake Lever
7. Console Bracket
8. Screws
9. And of course the whole gear shifter assembly-if desired.

I have read through this several times and hope I didn't miss anything.I am very happy with how little work this required and how it turned out. I absolutely love everything about the new console. Sorry I can't be of more help on the emergency brake because I know to you offroad guys it's pretty important, to me it's just not. All I can say is it should be easy as long as you pull the 97+ one and you have a sawzall. I honestly don't think it would require a whole lot of adjusting because you just aren't moving it very far.
Hope this helps anyone and everyone who is thinking about doing this mod. If anyone has questions feel free to ask away. My total came to $35.00 by the way.
Keep it real,
Collin

Last edited:
footdale said:
Those pics just reminded me that I need to clean out the heep real bad. Nice work.

A clean heep is a happy heep. :cheers: Don't forget to clean the sunflower seeds out from underneath the console.

Last edited:
looks good i think.
ive been considering doing alot of interior work to my 87 cherokee pioneer, i would like to swap the center console with a later model xj as well, maybe 98 or so. as well as install a new dash, carpet, headliner, etc. etc. (i hate my interior color) but do you know if the console changed from 87 to 90? if so let me know. also, where did u get that console? junk yard?

p.s. i would like to see how the e brake turns out

looks great...if i had an older xj i would consider doning this...hopefully the ebrake works out

Hey thanks for responding guys. I was really happy with the way it ended up looking.It really would look very close to factory if I had the ebrake in. I did end up getting mine from a junkyard.The $35 I paid included the console with all bezels and stuff plus the rear air duct, obviously minus the e-brake handle. If anyone else has questions or comments I would be happy to hear them. The console did not change from 87-90 as far as I know, in fact it shouldn't have changed from 84-96 much except for like different gear shifter bezel. I will post pics once I have the ebrake installed.

Cover the gap with some thin balsa wrapped in foil, or use cardboard bent and cut to shape...etc.

Thanks Jim that sounds like a good idea, I may try it. Where do you buy just bulk balsa wood? I've only seen it in the airplane form.

I wonder if that would work in an 89 MJ? I would probably have to put the ebrake on the floor like that instead of the pedal assembly under the dash. Hmmm, now you got me thinking(and that is usually not a good thing).:laugh:

Looks really good! I like it a lot, now if I could just get my hands on the father-in-laws 92 XJ to practice on. :laugh:

Scrambler013 said:
I wonder if that would work in an 89 MJ? I would probably have to put the ebrake on the floor like that instead of the pedal assembly under the dash. Hmmm, now you got me thinking(and that is usually not a good thing).:laugh:

Looks really good! I like it a lot, now if I could just get my hands on the father-in-laws 92 XJ to practice on. :laugh:

i think if i had the ebrake pedal it would be better and easier then i would use that open space for something else like switches or a cb radio (if there is enough room)

Yeah, I just did my MJ, like, not even twenty minutes ago. My apoligies for forgetting your name, CollinM, but I did give credit to "someone did this within the last week." over in the MODS. forum, It looks quite different from the original console. Thank you for the swap info. Ren

I wouldnt worry too much about the "weak rear air" mine hasnt worked worth a shit since it was new. The only time you can even really feel it is on high and its still marginal then.

Scrambler-no need for practice just get one and get 'er done. It will be easy in your MJ as long as you have bench seats. Also, I would leave the ebrake under the dash as well. As you saw with my sunflower seed example that space can actually prove handy because the brushes kind of hold things in place there. Just a thought.

ren-no problem, I knew it had been done a few times before it just didnt seem like there was a very clear write up so I figured I'd do one.

Atl XJ-I used to have really good rear air, do you think you might just have a weak blower motor?

No actually leather from www.nwautoleather.com 800 bucks though so most don't think its worth it. Actually original seats but new seat covers.

CollinM said:
Atl XJ-I used to have really good rear air, do you think you might just have a weak blower motor?

I bought my XJ a few years back from the original owner, with whom I am friends with. I know first hand that from day one the rear vent never worked very well with the a/c. It does work pretty good on heat though. Maybe its because I have the newer 134 A/C system? My XJ's air blows pretty hard out of the vents, defrost, or whatever setting its on so the blower motor is fine.

Btw, the console swap would be worth it just to have good cup holders without having to give up the emergency brake like on mine. My cup holder makes the E brake almost useless.

Last edited:
Atl XJ said:
I bought my XJ a few years back from the original owner, with whom I am friends with. I know first hand that from day one the rear vent never worked very well with the a/c. It does work pretty good on heat though. Maybe its because I have the newer 134 A/C system? My XJ's air blows pretty hard out of the vents, defrost, or whatever setting its on so the blower motor is fine.

Btw, the console swap would be worth it just to have good cup holders without having to give up the emergency brake like on mine. My cup holder makes the E brake almost useless.

Yeah actually my rear worked better on heat too. x2 on the cupholder thing too, I would actually crack my cupholder a little bit everytime I had to use the ebrake.

Colin, Have you got the e-brake in yet? That's the only thing keeping me from doing this mod. I have a 5-speed and live in WV, so I need my e-brake.
Thanks.

I actually haven't gotten around to the ebrake yet. I'm sorry its not happening real fast but like I said for me its not a huge priority. I will let you guys know right away when I get it in though.

Back