NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Tow Rigs, Trailers, and Other Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Tow Rigs, Trailers, and Other Tech Discussion Have a Tech question NOT related to an XJ or MJ? Have Tow Rig or Trailer questions? This is the place to get help.

Old August 1st, 2005, 10:41
NAXJA Forum User

GM side-to-top battery post conversion

Hi all;

Has anybody converted the side post to top post battery terminal on a GM truck?

If so, is there a kit for it? For DYI, where would one look for the connectors, cables, etc.

I've got a 2002, C2500, suburban and the positive terminal is all corroded. I want to convert to top post mounting, and replace cables and terminals.

TIA ... Maz
Old August 1st, 2005, 12:08
NAXJA Member

Re: GM side-to-top battery post conversion

Any parts store will have the little adapters that allow you to use the side mount cables on a top post battery. They are cheap.
Old August 1st, 2005, 13:17
NAXJA Forum User

I just cut the terminals and installed the clamp on type, in the store battery section. You just strip the cable stick it in there and tighten a nut, installing the clamp. The battery clamps aren't permanent, they wear out, corrode and break so its no big deal to replace. Speaking of which, the XJ is overdue.
Old August 1st, 2005, 15:59
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks for the replies.

_Maz
Old August 1st, 2005, 16:47
NAXJA Forum User

No prob. If its just lightly (surface) corroded though, I'd just clean it off w/ baking soda and a wire brush, file clean the contact surfaces and call it good though.
Old August 1st, 2005, 17:22
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajacalal
No prob. If its just lightly (surface) corroded though, .............
To give you some background. I had a no start last weekend. Turning the ignition key would cause a rapid clicking which I traced to the starter. Dash lights/dome lights would flicker and then die. I looked at the battery side posts and, what do you know, the positive battery post/bolt looked corroded. Measured battery voltage and it kept fluctuating between 0 and 11.8 volts. Couldn't get a steady reading. I figured it's the corrosion. Tried to remove battery cable and the positive post (nut) came right out of the battery; completely shot (see pic).
I need a new battery, and want to convert to top post mounting, while at it. GM side post POS terminals are famous for corrosion and failure.

_Maz
Old August 1st, 2005, 17:54
NAXJA Forum User

Yeah, corrosion, I know, I used to drive an old S10. I thought, you know, if it ain't broken, dont fix it, but that terminal needs fixed. Looks like it broke off or overheated (poor connection...corrosion).
Old August 3rd, 2005, 22:21
NAXJA Forum User

I bet you still had the AC delco battery in it. It seems all delco do this. Alot of them roll in my shop that way. I wouldnt sweat it. Clean the connections put some sealer or dielectric grease on them and drive. Shouldnt have a problem with it once it is taken care of.
Old August 4th, 2005, 05:13
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by comancheon33
I bet you still had the AC delco battery in it. It seems all delco do this.
You are right. It's an AC Delco battery. I am a few days past factory warranty, but the dealer agreed to put in a new battery and replace the + cable (good will). I got rid of the battery post crud that's stuck to the cable, cleaned everything off with a solution of baking soda (the stuff works great), popped the Jeep's battery in there and she fired and purred like a dream. I am headed to the dealer in an hour.
FWIW, cleaning the cable terminal is not enough as the battery acid works it's way done the cable and eventually gets to alternator / starter and ruins them. One can't see this happening until too late. It's a well documented problem with chevys and AC Delcos. Better/safer bet is to replace the + cable.

_Maz
Old August 10th, 2005, 19:23
NAXJA Member #760

Just one final note, remember that one reason GM came out with those damnable side terminal batteries was to allow lower clearance to the hood, so before converting to top terminals, make sure there's room and the hood doesn't hit them.
Old August 10th, 2005, 20:16
NAXJA Forum User

Talking Re: GM side-to-top battery post conversion

THAT IS very TRUE!! My friend richard changes his wire termals on his camaro, then slammed the hood shut. We got to see some nice fire-works when the battery shorted out through the hood. ( He was REALLLLY hot because he had bought and installled a new steel cowl-induction style hood, and just went and cooked it, along with the battery AND his wire harness.)
Old August 11th, 2005, 05:51
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Currie
Just one final note, remember that one reason GM came out with those damnable side terminal batteries was to allow lower clearance to the hood, so before converting to top terminals, make sure there's room and the hood doesn't hit them.
Good advice. Thanks.

_Maz
Old August 26th, 2005, 10:01
NAXJA Forum User

we have the terminals at advance auto for $1.48 a piece.