• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Trackbar too short

kubtastic

NAXJA Forum User
Situation: 2000 XJ, RE 5.5" HD (short arm w/ drop bracket lift). Centered the front LP Dana 30 Axle by measuring from the inner wheel well to the tire. Also eyeballed - looks good.
Problem: RE HD adjustable trackbar when lined up for this setup is on its very last threads. Way out there.
See picture:
DSC01107.jpg

And closer:
DSC01106.jpg

From the upper right:
DSC01112.jpg

Yeah, I can drill a hole (takes a few hours with really dull bits), but I wonder why it didn't bolt up right? I could also wind down the trackbar and run it an inch or so shorter, but that'd put a lot of stress on it as well as push the tires out to my left (I already ran it like this and was fed up with how much more mud was kicked up on the driver's side, and the trackbar itself made loads of noises).

I really should ask: anyone have this setup encounter this problem? An RE rep claimed you should have the axle out to the side because the driver's side of the axle (and that fatty tire) will get closer to the body when flexing up.

Last edited:
I suspect your axle isnt centered,Ive got 3 XJ's(all with the 6" RE kits)and plenty of thread available.

I centered by measuring from inner fender wheel well to the wheel. 1/8" difference between left and right. If you have that trackbar, could you give me a measurement from the lower bushing to the weld? I'd like a comparison with mine once I get a chance.

You can see the swaybar link on the driver's side leaning over pretty hard - if anything the trackbar should be a little longer.

That was interesting!
95-27"
96-27 1/2"
2k-28"
Btw:the sway bar itself can be slid side to side several inches.Find a better way to measure than from the inner wheel well.Pull a string line off the rear tires.

Last edited:
I just installed The RE HD trackbar and Skyjacker X-drop pitman arm on Friday and I have the same issue. I had to re-use the hole that I drilled when I had the stock trackbar in it to make it fit properly. I'm pretty positive the axle is centered as well. It seemed too short otherwise. Also, on a side note...they "forgot" to give me the 10mmx75mm bolt, so I had to go buy one. Not a big deal I guess...it's just a little irritating when you're ready to put it in and then find out you have to travle to get a part that it should have came with. Just my rant.

XJ%20trackbar.JPG

Last edited:
here is a hijack question for thought.... why do they put a jam nut on those track bars? they cant rotate and the jam nut is to prevent the bolt portion from backing out. if they are fabriceted right there wont be any play in the threads either, so why the nut????

just currious.

Troy

The jam nut on the adjustable trackbar and control arms is to prevent movement between the threads. RE control arms can be noisy if driven without that jam nut in place. Similarly, I would expect some possibilities of axle movement if the trackbar isn't tightened into one piece.

this is buggin' the hell out of me as well, but with an RE1600 on my '90 with 4" of lift. we had it measured out from several reference points. it was centered. but hanging on by only three threads?

From eye of bolt to eye of bolt, my trackbar would like to be just over 33" long, but I don't have too many threads to hang onto.

From the center of the bushing to the weld, the lower part of the bar is about 27" long. Still, I have about 6" of lift in the front.

I have the RE 5.5 short arm on my 2001 XJ and when I installed the HD trackbar I had the same concerns about how few threads were holding it. I think it's either an oversite on RE's end or just a universal part that unfortunately with a 5-6 inch lift, we are on the upper limit of adjustability. Had mine centered and aligned and haven't had a problem yet. BUT, if I do, RE will surely here about it. So will half the world if they don't fix the problem. :D

Count me in as having very little thread left after recently installing this track bar. I erred on the side of caution and shifted the axle just a tad toward the driver's side so that a few more threads were making contact.

Ive seen this before the guy ran I like that and the thing poped on the trail he welded it up and went on by could wheel in case it broke again
take a mesurement
call spidertrax and have fab ya one
with that end you have there
or do it yourself
getfile.php

getfile.php

getfile.php

cablesmurf said:
I just installed The RE HD trackbar and Skyjacker X-drop pitman arm on Friday and I have the same issue. I had to re-use the hole that I drilled when I had the stock trackbar in it to make it fit properly. I'm pretty positive the axle is centered as well. It seemed too short otherwise. Also, on a side note...they "forgot" to give me the 10mmx75mm bolt, so I had to go buy one. Not a big deal I guess...it's just a little irritating when you're ready to put it in and then find out you have to travle to get a part that it should have came with. Just my rant.

XJ%20trackbar.JPG
what if you have no access to a good bolt distributor in town and you have to wait for the bolt
had that happen to me

RE also makes a 1" longer coupler for the upper half of the trackbar, but it isn't listed on their web page. I told them the story of having to winch my car sideways just to get enough threads to contact (Someone at RE said that it must contact a length at least 1.5x the diameter), and that's when that special part came up.

wascobi said:
this is buggin' the hell out of me as well, but with an RE1600 on my '90 with 4" of lift. we had it measured out from several reference points. it was centered. but hanging on by only three threads?
I have the RE SF 3.5" kit, gave me about 4.5" in reality. I have the same track bar, and mine is threaded all the way in with my axle centered.

I have had a problem with getting the wrong size tracbar before on my 99 xj with Rusty's 4.5" lift and a 3/4" spacer up front. They sent me a bar for a 3.5" kit. With the axle centered, it was only in 1/2 inch. It ended up popping out on the road. I have the right bar now, Rusty's recommended that a full 1 inch of threads need to be in the bar.

I have the same one, got the RE6200 kit, but at 4.5". Thought it was wierd how far i had to spin the end out to get my axle centered. I have enough threads to be save, but still its about as far out as i would want it. Really kinda surprising to see it being a more common problem.

I feel your pain. I bought a superlift track bar from 4WP that they swore was the right part.It turned out that it was for a 4" lift(I've got6.5"Of lift).I finally got tired of it getting loose and making noise.I replaced it with R.E w/hd frame mount.It works much better,but it is maxxed out as far as I'd want to go.

I had a similar experience with a tie bar that I bought from Northridge 4x4 in Bremerton.I could only get about 1/2"of the tie rod into each end of the tie bar.
Just not enough engagement to make feel comfortable.So I took it back to David(northridge 4x4).He sent it back to the manufacture and toys by troy made me one that would fit. I agree that these are universal parts and we are at the end of the adjustment.I really apreciate how professionaly David (&toys by troy)handled the replacement of the part.

Does anyone have the part number for the R.E extension piece?

kubtastic said:
RE also makes a 1" longer coupler for the upper half of the trackbar, but it isn't listed on their web page. I told them the story of having to winch my car sideways just to get enough threads to contact (Someone at RE said that it must contact a length at least 1.5x the diameter), and that's when that special part came up.
Cool, thanks for the tip. I'll be ordering one shortly.

Back