NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old June 9th, 2003, 22:16
NAXJA Forum User

Front Driveshaft Conversion

I've tried over the past week or so to get the tech article - Front Driveshaft Conversion to come up but it wants me to sign in even though I already am.... and it won't accept my login. So could someone PM me a copy of that article (By Ghost) I have the yoke coming from Georgia Mike, I just need to see what else I might need and for sure which driveshaft I need for sure.
Mike B (See sig for specs on my 86)
Old June 10th, 2003, 09:37
Member Number 257

You must not be a member! Some of the articles are a part of the Members area or something. Which tranny do you have?
Old June 10th, 2003, 22:13
NAXJA Forum User

5 spd., Y'all told me it couldn't be the ba10/5, but frankly I've not had a chance to crawl under it and check for sure if it's a ba10/5, T5, or AX-5, since it's been muddy for a month, and it's at the welders right now to get the rear frame horns replaced so I can't check right now.
Mike B.
BTW: I thought I was a member, registered and it lets me post here.... is there more? Am I not official until I post x# of times? I had been registered before like a year ago but for some reason I had to reregister back in may.
Old June 11th, 2003, 06:51
NAXJA Forum User

Hey Mike,

Where in MD are you?
Old June 11th, 2003, 08:26
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally posted by GreedyXJ
Hey Mike,

Where in MD are you?
Smithsburg, close to Hagerstown.
Mike B.
Old June 11th, 2003, 09:18
NAXJA Forum User

cool...nice CJ5
I'm in Keedysville.
Where are those pics of the CJ wheelin' taken on you web page?
maybe we need to get a meet and greet together at the wolf's den?Is that place still open?
later,
Dwayne
Old June 11th, 2003, 10:12
Lifetime NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1986xj
BTW: I thought I was a member, registered and it lets me post here.... is there more? Am I not official until I post x# of times? I had been registered before like a year ago but for some reason I had to reregister back in may.
Registering to use the forums as a guest is not joining . We are a membership Jeep club, with annual dues for full membership privileges. There's a link on the home page for those who would like to consider joining to support this organization. It's member dues (as well as some sponsorship help) that pay for running these forums. If you've been using the forums for awhile and benefitting from them, please consider joining and helping to support them.

Owner/Driver/Enabler of "The Fleet"
Self-appointed President-for-Life of the World MJ Preservation Society
Old June 11th, 2003, 10:28
Member Number 257

I would highly recomend joining. It is a great club with great people. The only tranny I have ever seen in a 84-86 is the AX-5. However, there are some XJ's with the T-5 out there. Basically you will need a DC shaft from a 4 popper 5 speed XJ. Unless you want a custome length like me and got a AW-4 shaft cut down to length!
Old June 11th, 2003, 20:16
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally posted by GreedyXJ
cool...nice CJ5
I'm in Keedysville.
Where are those pics of the CJ wheelin' taken on you web page?
maybe we need to get a meet and greet together at the wolf's den?Is that place still open?
later,
Dwayne
Most of them are from up near Mt Carmel (pretty close to tower city PA), one or 2 might have been down at big dogs. You have a page up for your XJ? Do you belong to a Club Yet? I'm with CV4W and we have a good many fairly close by (within 100 miles or so) places to wheel.
Enough here... I'll PM ya.
Mike B
Old June 11th, 2003, 20:30
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghost
I would highly recomend joining. It is a great club with great people. The only tranny I have ever seen in a 84-86 is the AX-5. However, there are some XJ's with the T-5 out there. Basically you will need a DC shaft from a 4 popper 5 speed XJ. Unless you want a custome length like me and got a AW-4 shaft cut down to length!
I ran by and checked today, 1 piece case so I'm pretty sure it has to be a AX-5 now. And now I know why 4wd won't work...the driveshaft is gone!!! only thing there is a stub at the tcase end. Any year or range of years better than others?
Thanks,
Mike B.
BTW: I'll go join up.... didn't have a clue about that till y'all told me.
Old June 11th, 2003, 22:09
Lifetime NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1986xj
And now I know why 4wd won't work...the driveshaft is gone!!! only thing there is a stub at the tcase end.
Yep -- that'll do it!

Owner/Driver/Enabler of "The Fleet"
Self-appointed President-for-Life of the World MJ Preservation Society
Old June 12th, 2003, 06:53
NAXJA Forum User

man you are lucky you found that out now. i wonder how long you where driving around like that for.
Old June 12th, 2003, 07:37
Member Number 257

The T-5 is a one piece case too. There is a top cover on the T-5 where as the AX-5 bolts together to an intermediate plate. I'll see if I can find a picture of one. The AX-5 has ribs on the case too. I cannot remember what the Case of the T-5 looks like. I just know it when I see it!
Old June 12th, 2003, 17:25
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally posted by Bentonedge
man you are lucky you found that out now. i wonder how long you where driving around like that for.
Oh, I just got it and don't have tags on it yet. It's one of those PO things, he did a few strange things that I need to fix before inspection yet, like putting a cat back on it and fixing the rest of the exhaust, put a smog pump on and a lot of little things like that.
Mike B.
Old June 12th, 2003, 17:59
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghost
The T-5 is a one piece case too. There is a top cover on the T-5 where as the AX-5 bolts together to an intermediate plate. I'll see if I can find a picture of one. The AX-5 has ribs on the case too. I cannot remember what the Case of the T-5 looks like. I just know it when I see it!
Well it looks like a lot like a 10/5, but the case is one piece. The picture here isn't very good - http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/trans/ and really doesn't show the passenger side so I can see if it has that brass drain plug that uses a torx bit that I did notice on mine. The shifter has a bit of an s shape to it and a rubber boot down at the top of the tranny, which isn't shown well either.
Mike B.