• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual t-cases eb dana 20/4:1 Klune V or just Rubi rock-trac 4:1 with an auto XJ, other

Dual t-cases, single 4:1 t-case gearing, Atlas 4:1+ in auto trans XJ

• Total voters

Big Red

NAXJA Forum User
Dual t-cases eb dana 20/4:1 Klune V or just Rubi rock-trac 4:1 with an auto XJ or other???

With my quest of getting the gearing options I need/want for my XJ. I have come across some good deals and have to decide which patch to go down. I got a Rubicon rock-trac t-case with 4:1 gearing that is the same length as a 231 with SYE that I could use with my hp44 5.38 /9" 5.43 gearing. I also now got a used Klune V for a good price with 4:1 gearing and can get a early bronco dana 20 t-case that's driver drop for cheap. I have an auto tranny in my XJ but I do plan on doing JV trails as well as the usual by my house Rubicon and Fordyce. What case/combo would you guys suggest? I want at least a 4:1 t-case gearing, with the 20/klune combo I'd be around 150:1 crawl ratio with my auto so maybe close to 300:1 with the torque converter. Who has run dual cases in a XJ? I'm closer to the early bronco/f-150 or so with my hp44/9", dana 20 t-case etc, so the XJ drivetrain is not a factor as I've upgraded from the weak 30/35, 231 etc.

Early Bronco dana 20 t-case with the 4:1 Klune V link, this combo is 18.5" long, just 1" more than the 231 with a SYE (18.5 vs 17.5). You can also add twin sticks to the 20 and have front wheel/rear wheel drive etc etc. I did my research and got all the parts, now I just need to decide what combo to run. Here is a link to the 20/klune:

http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/Klune-V_Bronco_D20_combo.htm

On a side note, people that are considering the Tera 4:1 kit, don't, I got my Rubi rock-trac with 4:1 gearing one ebay for $1K, strong in all areas for $1K and it's bolt in, or just a little mod because the Rubi case is so beefy and big, but it's length is the same as the 231 with a SYE. Here's a link:

http://www.rubiconowners.com/TransferCase.html

I know tough decision, I found the stuff for good prices so it makes it even harder. I got the Klune V for a good/cheap price, the dana 20 for $150 with shifters and yokes, and the Rubi rock-trac for $1,050 shipped. Please take this into mind with the vote as well as what is needed/wanted for gearing a auto XJ on tough stuff like Johnson Valley trails and moderate trails like the Rubicon and Fordyce. You can also add twin sticks to the dana 20 to get front/rear wheel drive, nice mod on the trail. I will also be driving this jeep to and from stuff, this isn't my dd, but with the 1:1 gearing in all the t-cases that is a non-factor as well. I have a hp44/9" with 5.43 gears and alloy shafts so my axles should hold up to whatever combo. Please advise people, and think about these options for your own rigs, the Rubi case is very nice and now that it is out there, I think the Tera 4:1 kits will not be bought as much. Sell your stock 231 before you do the SYE and 4:1 and save big and be alot farther ahead with the 241 Rock-trac. Just a though, now I'll go. :gag: :laugh3:
Troy

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Dual t-cases eb dana 20/4:1 Klune V or just Rubi rock-trac 4:1 with an auto XJ, other

I voted for seat time.

-Jon

Re: Dual t-cases eb dana 20/4:1 Klune V or just Rubi rock-trac 4:1 with an auto XJ, other

Kaczman said:
I voted for seat time.

-Jon

I know I would get this, ha ha :laugh3: but I'm at a cross roads with my build and I will get plenty of seat time when this is done believe me. So what was you decision on the t-case(s) to use Jon? Seat time isn't an option, I know I need more seat time, this is why I'm building up my XJ the way I am. I've had years of a stock or near stock Xj and YJ with no lockers, bad gears, etc and it sucked, not it's time to have some fun on the trails. :)

Big Red said:
So what was you decision on the t-case(s) to use Jon?

Jon didn't vote since seat time wasn't on the poll. Either add it or you won't get his vote. :wierd:

-Miek

Mike L said:
Jon didn't vote since seat time wasn't on the poll. Either add it or you won't get his vote. :wierd:

-Miek

Both the 20/klune V or 241 rock trac are good mods. Lots of seat time to follow. :laugh3:

nhrocker said:
Can you do a 2 lo conversion on a 241?

I haven't heard of that, that's why I'm leaning towards the eb dana 20 and klune v so I can run twin sticks on the 20. I got good prices on those 2 so I'm leaning that way right now. The Rubi 241 is a great case to, but still has a chain.

Watching the poll, I'm surprised more people aren't selecting the 20/klune v. The combined length of that combo is 18.5", 1" more than a 231 with SYE. The 20 is gear driven, twin stick compatible, old and tough. I know the Atlas 2 is awesome. Maybe I should have titled this thread as the best bang for the buck t-case mod instead of just best t-case mod. I think the Rubi 241 t-case for $1K to 1,200 or so is a good deal, not an Atlas but a 1/2 of the price, quite a bit stronger than the 231, comes stock with SYE and 4:1 gearing, and 6 planatary gears instead of the 231's 3. Also it is a bolt in, with little to no mod to accomodate its size.

Troy

Last edited:
I would put the 241 in my rig (if I could afford it), since I don't really need the easy 2 wheel. I would be looking more at ease of install (like you said, bolt in 4:1 and SYE)

But in your case, I'm voting for the 20/Klune combo. It sounds like you'll put the 2 wheel selections to good use on the trails you run.

you only want your crawl ratio to be about 50:1 with an auto tranny. go much lower and you won't be able to stop.

I still thinkg you probably won't want/need a 4:1 t-case with the 5.38/43 gears. keep your 231 with SYE and get some seat time, if you then find that you need more crawl (unlikely IMO) swap the Rubi case and you won't need major driveshaft work.

BrettM said:
you only want your crawl ratio to be about 50:1 with an auto tranny. go much lower and you won't be able to stop.

I still thinkg you probably won't want/need a 4:1 t-case with the 5.38/43 gears. keep your 231 with SYE and get some seat time, if you then find that you need more crawl (unlikely IMO) swap the Rubi case and you won't need major driveshaft work.

Thanks Brett for getting in on this thread. I appreciated your comments before as well. With the 4:1 of the 241 and my axle gears, I'll be about 61:1, with an auto tranny I heard you can figure about 1.8-2 multification from the torque converter so I'll be around 120:1 which I think is pretty ideal. The 20/Klune is a very nice setup, maybe a little better for someone with a manual tranny in a jeep with driver drop diff.
I'm going with 1 of these combos probably the 241 Rubi case, I know I want the gearing.

This really is a decision based on what you want, no what others want. Numbers mean nothing....except maybe the not stopping part that brett mentioned....I drive stick...so screw that:). You are asking way too many questions to even have a clue waht you, yourself, want to do.

I've been on 5.5" lift adn 33" tires for almost 4 years now, with the front 30 and rear 44, with 4.56 gears and locked. I still, after four years, could care less about jumping up even bigger. I still always go out with the 37-38" tire crew, and do fine. I'm saying this because, there is no reason to go big right now. Have fun with what you have, get seat time...as you stated you needed...and then decide what you want to do with your jeep.

I hate the "build it once" phrase said so often....of course it saves money in the long run, but where is the progression. It's like going to play pro football when you've never even touched a football.

......so in that case...go out a few times with the stock 231, get a feel for it. See how it drives, then throw in the 241J and notice the difference. This will give you more of an idea of what you want than will our opinions on what we like. If you get a klune, you NEED to upgrade axles. _nicko_

Stick with the Jeep parts and keep it simple. Toby's flat fender ran a v and it would get stuck and he couldn't get it out of gear. He ran the top truck challenge in that rig so it was hammered!

4ejsmith said:
Stick with the Jeep parts and keep it simple. Toby's flat fender ran a v and it would get stuck and he couldn't get it out of gear. He ran the top truck challenge in that rig so it was hammered!
Not picking on you here but....Simple is good yes. However because one person breaks a part doesn't really make it a bad part.

You'll be getting plenty of seat time with a 300:1 crawl ratio. I don't think anyone needs to be that low. :dunce:

I would recommend hitting a few trails before changing anything after the axle swaps.

But hey, keep on having it worked on. It'll be one less rig clogging up the trail (especially if you're trying to get an absurdly low crawl ratio). :spam:

I didn't vote. Maybe the mods will add seat time to the poll. :gag:

But just to go along with the flow of your build and taking the easiest way. I say run the 241. Skip the klune/20 combo, sounds cool, but not worth the money. The hi-impact setup runs close to $3000. Run the rubi t-case and sell it later on if you want to go with lower gears or an atlas. But for god sakes, try driving your junk before doing any other mods. You can have all the bling stuff you want just to try to be cool, but then to not know how to drive it or repair it on the trail is stupid.

Bryan C. said:
Hey Big Red! :wave: Read Richard's post again.

Damn man, that's a nice sig. :gag:

If it was me, thank Gawd it's not, I would wheel the $hit out of it after doing the axle swaps and then decide if you really need the extra gearing. If you do, put the Rubi case in it, since you got one and SD & STFU.

-Mike

Back