• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

auto shut down relay

Jeepsr4me

NAXJA Forum User
I drove my 2001 Cherokee about 36 miles this morning after filling up from empty. I got to where i was going. About 2 hours later i get in and crank up but it turns over but does not start. And there is this load buzzing noise coming from the engine area. I open the power dist box and the asd relay is making the noise. Also the fuel pump in the tank was buzzing but not as loud. I pulled the relay apart and noticed that it was working the relay very fast making the buzzing sound. When i manually pushed the relay switch in and had some one start it the Jeep fired up but a check engine light was on. How do i know if the relay is bad and not engaging fully or is there another issue causing the relay to trip at a fast rate?

The database I have access to (Mitchell) won't allow copying and pasting, so here goes:

1. Turn ignition off. Remove ASD relay from PDC. Using an ohmmeter, check for continuity between ASD relay terminals 30 and 87. If continuity exists, replace relay. If continuity does not exist, go to next step.
2. Measure resistance between ASD relay terminals 85 and 86. If resistance is not 50-80 ohms, replace ASD relay. If resistance is 50-80 ohms, go to next step.
3. Using jumper wires, apply positive battery voltage to relay terminal 86 and ground relay terminal 85. Check for continuity between relay terminals 30 and 87. Continuity should exist. If continuity does not exist, replace ASD relay.

I just thought of something else. Have AutoZone, or whomever, check for trouble codes. If any come up, post here and as long as I'm still at work, I can check what procedure to take for those.

I broke down and took it to the shop. I have to have my trucking running and didnt have time to mess around. 2 of the pins going to the PCM had corrosion on them causing the relay to recieve less voltage than it required to work right. This explained why the Jeep ran fine once cranked. So i ended up paying 84 bucks to have a guy work for 3 hours only to find rust on the pins. Well lesson learned hope someone can use this info. I knew it was in the PCM but did not even look at the pins.

Back