• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crank Shaft Position Sensor

GIJill

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know a good way to get at this so I can check if it's broken or someplace else I can test it without having to somehow take it out of where it's located? Any help would be great. My Jeep is an 87'

If you even remotely suspect it, replace it, CPS are notorious for going bad. I honestly think there's a conspiracy surrounding their manufacture :D

Best way to get at it is from underneath the jeep behind the engine, 11 o'clock position on the bellhousing on the driver's side.

Fairly quick job if you have a long ratchet extension or two and even faster if you have a flex-socket. It's "only" two bolts

Check the wiring, it sometimes gets fried by the exhaust manifold...

pic.bmp

Why do you think it's the CPS?

"Broken"?

If your Jeep runs, it ain't broken. You can test it by unplugging it and using a multi-meter to check the resistance. Don't remember what it's supposed to be, but it has been posted here in the past.

Eagle said:
"Broken"?

If your Jeep runs, it ain't broken. You can test it by unplugging it and using a multi-meter to check the resistance. Don't remember what it's supposed to be, but it has been posted here in the past.

For a Renix (87-90) it's 125-275 ohms, and for a Chrysler it should read "infinite" or open-circuit.

Back