• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some Local advice.

Sniggs

NAXJA Forum User
I know...I know... It's not the tech forum...I would like a "Northwest" point of view. I have an opportunity to pick this up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7949049545&fromMakeTrack=true

anybody have experience with rough country? Any real reason to avoid it? Safety on the highway? This price seems almost too go to be true (???). I'm upgrading my daily driver so I can at least get some 31 or 32s and do some local wheeling.

Thanks -
Mark

rough country makes garbage stuff... also, add a leafs are crappy. get the RE 3.5 kit with full leafs

hth
brandon

I bought my RE 3.5" superflex AAL from JeepinJoe (jeepinjoe.com) for 400 dollars including shipping. He will cut you a good deal if you e-mail him asking for RE prices.

Rough Country is pretty cheap stuff. Low quality suspension is one of the last things you want on your vehicle.

redsand187 said:
I bought my RE 3.5" superflex AAL from JeepinJoe (jeepinjoe.com) for 400 dollars including shipping. He will cut you a good deal if you e-mail him asking for RE prices.

Rough Country is pretty cheap stuff. Low quality suspension is one of the last things you want on your vehicle.

Okay - since the Superflex doesn't come with shocks, what would you suggest?

Will I need an SYE or should I worry about vibration?

I like my doestech 3000 shocks best bang for your buck, you can get the whole set of four for around $130.

As far as the sye each xj is different but generally the the 96+ get vibes over 3". Some say if you have the NP231 and D35 you have a LESS chance of vibes. I ran a drop t-case for 6 mounths with NO vibes(w/ np 242 and 8.25). And if you get the SYE go with a Tom Woods SYE and DS. I had the RE Hack and Tap, never could get rid of the vibes. Ended up selling it and going TW sye. Now that is a $400 lesson on "you get what you pay for."
And before any of you hack and tap lovers tear me a new a-hole, that was just an opinion from my experience with hack and tap.

PS For sale: tailshaft for a NP 242 cut and tapped for a RE SYE $400 obo

XJourney said:
...I ran a drop t-case for 6 mounths with NO vibes(w/ np 242 and 8.25). ..
PS For sale: tailshaft for a NP 242 cut and tapped for a RE SYE $400 obo
So...why didn't you just leave the drop t-case and leave it at that?

Right now, I'm looking at the RE6025 3.5" Super Ride kit w/ XJ Rear Springs and maybe OME Nitrochargers. I just want to make sure that I won't have to worry about Vibes.

Because like most I knew that one day I would get the inchins and didn't want my stock ds hold me from going up.

The only complaint about the 1 inch drop is when I would put it in reverse I would get a rumbling sound. The exhaust is mounted too the tranny mount and puts pressure on the exhaust system causing the rumble. Oh and also the crossmember is an inch lower so it will catch on more stuff. So I guess I have two issues with the tc drop.

I ran that kit for a while and liked it. I got it back when it was $170 with shocks from JC whitney I still run the coils. They flex good and they ride decent. The rear will sag a little after a year or so but it's still a good deal. As for the sye I don't have one and I'm at 7" of lift, I have a tcase drop and a 4* shim It has no vibes.

I have only researched and the answer continues to be "No to Rough Country". I almost purchased a set up off of Ebay before going up in December with you and hearing the input from Michael and about Hans' lift. But I sprang for RE with the full leaf pack. Save the money. I just hope that my cousin can get rid of the Wobble tomorrow. My XJ is a 96 with the 231 and Chrysler 8.25. I don't think my wife is going to like it until I replace the wheels and possibly the tires.

Have you gotten an alignment? You have new LCAs,track bar, your tires are new also. My guess would be alignment.

After the lift is on you need to shim the rear axle (if you have rear driveshaft vibes), and you need to get an alighnment for the front (including castor adjustment) many many many shops do not know how to do the castor adjustment but it is crushial to eliminating front driveshaft vibes, death wobble and allowing the truck to drive right.

Michael

My cousin added the Rear shims. The alignment was done.

Castor adjustment???? If you are up before 7 am and see this, please call me.

360-789-0064

Jason

Last edited:
Back