• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alright... where is the snow??

Glenn B

Member #69
NAXJA Member
Up in Leavenworth for a family vacation, and am a bit surprised at the lack of snow. Sorta odd.

Pretty chilly, but wonderful looking anyhow. Got a bit of video shot today before my hands got too cold to run the camera.

Tomorrow may shoot back up to Stevens Pass to let the kids do some sledding. It is only 35 miles back up the hills.... and they *reall* wanna do some sledding. :D

Saw a few good looking Cherokees up here, and a ZJ with Jeepsunlimited stickers on it. Was a good looking rig.

Well, back to it......
Glenn

It's just too damned warm (not that I'm complaining!) for snow right now.

It was just chilly/damp enough for me to hit the indoor pistol range today for a change. ;)

Yup, pretty odd. It was very warm the day before we left. This morning it rained all day until Stevens Pass.... it was snowing a bit. Colder than heck for a while here this afternoon, but is warm this evening. Whooda Thunk it.

Glenn said:
Yup, pretty odd. It was very warm the day before we left. This morning it rained all day until Stevens Pass.... it was snowing a bit. Colder than heck for a while here this afternoon, but is warm this evening. Whooda Thunk it.

And Hinkley though we were bad for posting on vacation.

I hope it snows a foot after you leave. :D

Lincoln said:
And Hinkley though we were bad for posting on vacation.

Glenn's job makes it easy to pick on him for living on the comp. ;) But then, there are those of us who always seem to be here, too. What's OUR excuse?

:wave:

Indeed, side effect of my work.

In for the night, figguring out this new DVD palyer for the wifes car... one of theose things with two small monitors for the back seat types. :)

ECKSJAY said:
Glenn's job makes it easy to pick on him for living on the comp. ;) But then, there are those of us who always seem to be here, too. What's OUR excuse?

:wave:

No one else will tolerate me.

Glenn said:
In for the night, figguring out this new DVD palyer for the wifes car... one of theose things with two small monitors for the back seat types. :)

That's more like it. Put one in the sun visor on the drivers side.

You can thank me later.

Hey... I live in Leavenworth, what were you driving, I saw a couple cherokees around on Saturday... one I was eyeing in the left turn lane when I was taking a right to go to the liquor store. :)

The funny thing is, for the past few years it's been like this over here up until christmas time, then it dumps in January. We actually had one night that it snowed about 10 inches earlier this month, all the snow that was on the ground here was from that accumulation, but it's almost all melted off now. Hopefully we'll get more this week or after christmas, I want to do some snow wheeling.

Heya!

Did not bring the Jeep... it needs too much work. Driving the wifes old Jetta.

Got any ideas where the *closest-best* place to find a decent sledding hill for the kids? Need not be spectacular, just for a lil fun. :)

We are in town until Wed. morning. We are staying at the icicle inn. If it works out to hook-up for a beer, shout.

I love Leavenworth, fun place. The wife and I did our honeymoon here almost 10 years ago, and try to come up as often as possible. I look forward to good Hefe-Weizen and Schnitzel. Yum!!

Glenn

NotMatt said:
Hey... I live in Leavenworth, what were you driving, I saw a couple cherokees around on Saturday... one I was eyeing in the left turn lane when I was taking a right to go to the liquor store. :)

The funny thing is, for the past few years it's been like this over here up until christmas time, then it dumps in January. We actually had one night that it snowed about 10 inches earlier this month, all the snow that was on the ground here was from that accumulation, but it's almost all melted off now. Hopefully we'll get more this week or after christmas, I want to do some snow wheeling.

If there is snow in Leavenworth go to 100 Enchanted Pkwy in Leavenworth
It is like your third turn right when you enter Leavenworth, coming down from the pass. You will see a bunch of time shares there, just park there and go in back there is a perfect sledding hill for kids. With plenty of room for kids to sled, I will be there in Feb and will NOT be forgetting my sled.

Just mapquest 100 Enchanted Pkwy Leavenworth.

I'm guessing you guys have exhausted the little hill downtown that everyone sleds on... it's only fun the first couple times. :)

I second the enchantment parks area, there's some sledding there. However, if there's enough snow (I think there is), you should head up to the ski hill above town and check that out. It's basically closed down until enough snow accumulates for skiing, but it's open all year round to hikers/sledders/cross country skiiers/etc. Just turn onto ski hill drive from hwy 2, it's right next to Kristall's Restaurant or the Wells Fargo bank, and head all the way up the hill. It's the big parking lot right as you make a 90 degree right on Ski Hill Drive.

Give me a call on my cell phone - 509 264 1271 - one of these evenings before you head out of town and I'd definately be down to have a beer or two or grab some food. I work until 5:00 in wenatchee, so anytime after 5:30 or so is great! My name's Matt BTW. :)

PS, good choice on the Icicle Inn. My company installed the wireless internet setup they have there, excellent place and the management is really great. The food at JJ Hills is awesome too.

Yup, the icicleinn is not too bad. Wireless works ok too. :)

We eneded up going to Stevens Pass yesterday to let the kids do some sledding on the hill there. Just not enough snow in or near town. Pretty tired, had a great dinner at Andreas Keller (my favorite resteraunt here), then a late night with the kids in the arcade.

Off to breakfast then figgure out what we are doing today..
Clouds are moving in, so hoping for snow. :D
Glenn

NotMatt said:
I'm guessing you guys have exhausted the little hill downtown that everyone sleds on... it's only fun the first couple times. :)

I second the enchantment parks area, there's some sledding there. However, if there's enough snow (I think there is), you should head up to the ski hill above town and check that out. It's basically closed down until enough snow accumulates for skiing, but it's open all year round to hikers/sledders/cross country skiiers/etc. Just turn onto ski hill drive from hwy 2, it's right next to Kristall's Restaurant or the Wells Fargo bank, and head all the way up the hill. It's the big parking lot right as you make a 90 degree right on Ski Hill Drive.

Give me a call on my cell phone - 509 264 1271 - one of these evenings before you head out of town and I'd definately be down to have a beer or two or grab some food. I work until 5:00 in wenatchee, so anytime after 5:30 or so is great! My name's Matt BTW. :)

PS, good choice on the Icicle Inn. My company installed the wireless internet setup they have there, excellent place and the management is really great. The food at JJ Hills is awesome too.

Had a great day, found some good snow for sledding.... thanks to a local Deputy. :D Had a blast!!

Met up with Matt tonight here at the hotel for beers. Nice guy, good conversation. Always nice to meet a fellow XJ Jeeper. :) Good people. Matt, hope to be back in Feb.

We head back West over Highway 2 tomorrow, with a sledding stop at Stevens Pass on the way home.

All together, a great short NW vacation.
Glenn
Glenn said:
Yup, the icicleinn is not too bad. Wireless works ok too. :)

We eneded up going to Stevens Pass yesterday to let the kids do some sledding on the hill there. Just not enough snow in or near town. Pretty tired, had a great dinner at Andreas Keller (my favorite resteraunt here), then a late night with the kids in the arcade.

Off to breakfast then figgure out what we are doing today..
Clouds are moving in, so hoping for snow. :D
Glenn

glenn,
i understand about the lack of snow....i come home to the pac nw hoping for snow, and NOPE...all i get to see is mud. had to drive about an hour up into the hills west of the house to see any small patches to take the cj out into.....but damn the thing gets squirley, so i need to learn the fine art of playin in the snow w/ a cj. my cherokee handles better in the snow, thats for sure, and i can stay warm and listen to the radio while doing it.

Very nice to meet you as well Glenn. Nice to meet another computer geek who's into Jeeps, lol. Those Hefeweizens sure are good, aren't they? Next time you're in town, hit me up and we'll do it again.

I actually spent the whole of yesterday afternoon driving my cherokee in the snow/ice up in an area near Entiat called Keystone Mountain. The road itself was a solid sheet of ice, a very white knuckle ride coming back down. I had to go up there to rescue the local public TV association engineer in his Suburban... took some chains up to him because he was stuck in a spot where he couldn't go forward because of the ice, and he couldn't go back because of a cliff! That was an adventure and a half. Not much fun when it's just ice and no powder.

Just think about it. There were 6 of us on Saturday that drove up near Stevens Pass to call that "a day of fun". The Icy snow.

Back