• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

worth buying an adjustable trackbar?

DDCxj

NAXJA Forum User
When I come home in November I'm gonna have to get a new trackbar. I'm up 2" in the front and was wandering if it would be worth spending twice as much for an adjustable trackbar. The reason I ask is because I'm planning on more lift when I get out of school in 4 years and when I get chances to upgrade parts that woud benefit me later I like to do it instead of buying the same part twice. If I do not get the adjustable trackbar, at this point should I be drilling new holes in the bracket for the stock one or would this not be needed with only 2"s?

thanks
Dean

I suspect the problem you'll run into with an adjustable trackbar is that it may not adjust far enough for both a 2" and say, a 6" lift (I may be wrong.) But that is a good idea in general.

I ran a stock track bar to 3", added an adjustable trackbar and went up to 6" eventually. Personally, I really do *NOT* like the idea of drilling the lower trackbar bracket.

I ran the RE adjustable at 2", because I didn't want to drill it either. When putting the bar together, make sure you use a lot of anti-sieze! Screw the ball end all the way in and you will be in business. Get someone to help you when you set the bar, trust me on this!!

DDCxj said:
When I come home in November I'm gonna have to get a new trackbar. I'm up 2" in the front and was wandering if it would be worth spending twice as much for an adjustable trackbar. The reason I ask is because I'm planning on more lift when I get out of school in 4 years and when I get chances to upgrade parts that woud benefit me later I like to do it instead of buying the same part twice. If I do not get the adjustable trackbar, at this point should I be drilling new holes in the bracket for the stock one or would this not be needed with only 2"s?

thanks
Dean

You do not need an adj TB at 2". At three is where is axle starts to move. I also don't like the drilling of the hole and the relocation bracket.

As mentioned, the Trackbars are usually made within a lift range. I would wait until your ar at least 3" before getting one.

You need to watch Ebay and the Forsale Ads, there is usually a good TB's forsale. Most of them may be worn out, but the TRE or Hiem joint can be replaced rather cheaply.

You may also want to consider where you rig will be in the next 3-5 years. You maybe looking into High steeering links and such. If so buy a new track bar that can be modified, such as an RE, Kevin's Parts or JKS. These are on the more expensive side, but if you have modifications in your future these are the best bag for your buck.

I wouldn´t buy one from Rusty. This happened to mine yesterday:
trackbar01.jpg

trackbar02.jpg

trackbar03.jpg

boy that looks sucky. hope that doesn't happen to mine. Will he warranty it? What conditions caused this? tire size etc. Just curious. That makes me nervous.

Too much heat at the weld? I've been running a Teraflex track bar for 3 years now that has been fine. I just had to replace the bushing and I also just learned that the TRE it uses has a spring in it and it is able to move up and down, rather than just pivoting. I noticed the up and down movement and thought it was odd so I talked to Teraflex. Are all TRE's like this? Seems like a lame setup. If all are like this, why?

Last edited:
y2kxj said:
boy that looks sucky. hope that doesn't happen to mine. Will he warranty it? What conditions caused this? tire size etc. Just curious. That makes me nervous.
This is one of those cases where good post-warranty support doesn't help make the sale for me. I do far too much highway time in my XJ, and the thought of a trackbar brace separating at 75mph is far too spooky to wonder whether Rusty would warrnaty it. Will he pay medical costs or funeral expenses that result from yet another Rusty's Trackbar failure? I've heard of far too many Rusty's issues to trust my azz to his products...

Yucca-Man said:
This is one of those cases where good post-warranty support doesn't help make the sale for me. I do far too much highway time in my XJ, and the thought of a trackbar brace separating at 75mph is far too spooky to wonder whether Rusty would warrnaty it. Will he pay medical costs or funeral expenses that result from yet another Rusty's Trackbar failure? I've heard of far too many Rusty's issues to trust my azz to his products...
I'm not in the market for one. I already have it. It's a legitamate question, and since he's obviously alive, I'd like to know.

I agree with not getting one at 2". But as for 3" and over...

I tried the relocation bracket (scary angle & bump-steer-a-plenty), then I went with re-drilling the stock mount (one chance to get it right (which I didn't) and still an issue with angle. Finally installed an adj. trackbar (I chose RE 'cause I could buy one locally) and all is finally right with my XJ.

y2kxj said:
Looking at your list of mods, with the tires you're running I really think you would be fine.

Anyone run the RE HD bar & bracket with less than 4" lift? I have 3.5" and ran one when they first came out, before they even advertised it in their catalog, and it used to hit the diff when I stuffed the driver-side tire. Just wondering if anybody else has had that problem with it.

xj92 said:
Anyone run the RE HD bar & bracket with less than 4" lift? I have 3.5" and ran one when they first came out, before they even advertised it in their catalog, and it used to hit the diff when I stuffed the driver-side tire. Just wondering if anybody else has had that problem with it.
I can't speak for the RE but my Rusty's was hitting the coil bucket at my 3.5" lift height. I just ground the bucket down some and now it is fine. It would only hit when both front tires went into a dip at the same time.

Alright, here's the scoop. There is a guy on Ebay, Davy. He runs the Rough Country Ebay Store. I got my lift and adjustable track bar from him. The track bar with S/H ran about $112 which I think was a pretty good deal. I had a bracket before and did not like it. The track bar assembly always would mysterioulsy come loose so I ditched it for the adjustable track bar. That's just my $.02.

Back