• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep stereos

bigliftr5211

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 94 2 dr xj and i was inquiring about the sound systems. i find that my stock speakers have great sound and pretty good bass but i want more but i am a moron when it comes to amps and how many watts are needed. i am looking to go with alpine but if any one has a better idea please help. i need to know what size the stock speakers are and if i can safely run 2 10 inch subs without breaking the windows or anything and what kind of amp i would need for the speakers and subs thank you

bigliftr5211 said:
i have a 94 2 dr xj and i was inquiring about the sound systems. i find that my stock speakers have great sound and pretty good bass but i want more but i am a moron when it comes to amps and how many watts are needed. i am looking to go with alpine but if any one has a better idea please help. i need to know what size the stock speakers are and if i can safely run 2 10 inch subs without breaking the windows or anything and what kind of amp i would need for the speakers and subs thank you

i run infinity's all around... can't remember what size they are, but they sound great. also i have 2 12" subs and 2 amps, so don't worry about shattering any windows lol. PM Jeepinaudiophile, he knows probably the most on this topic.

I have a 95 4dr and my speakers were 5 1/4" in the front door and across the roof in the rear in a soundbar. Mine are just amped off my headunit because I bought a cheap one w/o a subwoofer output.

I have a 12" sub in a ported 2.6 cu ft box with 900 watts going to it faced at an angle towards the back window, and as of now, no shattering yet. If you put a lot of power to your stuff, your jeep will rattle like you won't believe.

1200 watts on an 18" treo and no breakage so i think you will be ok.

I was in the same boat when it came to stereos. I went to best buy and got ripped off, but thats OK, cause it was just $300.
So I have a JVC headunit, I think its called. I have Sony speakers in the rear and Panasonic in the front. I think they are 5.5'', or maybe 6''. I have no idea. But they fit OK. The front I had to trim the panel, and it looks bad cause of the stock square cover, but it isn't really noticable. The rears fit almost perfect. A little triming and it was good. I had to drill a couple of holes, and they were anoying, but it wasn't hard. As for subs, I don't have space for them, so I don't have any.

I just have the cheapest pioneer head unit available at best buy (5 years ago), and I cut out for 6.5" speakers front and rear. Got 2 sets of 6.5" round (sony xplod, and JL) for under 80 from friends, and that's all I will ever need. My stereo is right where I want/need it, and cost me about $200. I am in no way into stereos at all, but I need my music.

Something of a diversion here, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone running an MP3/CD player in their XJ about how well it's held up to trail abuse. I'd love to swap the Alpine CDA-7894 I've got in my car into the Jeep, but live in fear of destroying the armature or infesting it with dust. And key here is trying to avoid the cigarette lighter / tape adapter / portable MP3 player solution - I hate having extraneous stuff loose in the cabin, and they sound like crap anyway.

Failing that, does anyone know of an in-dash MP3 player that takes Compact Flash or similar? I'm honestly surprised that there doesn't seem to be one (at least, I haven't found it) on the market specifically for marine and off-road uses.

casm said:
Something of a diversion here, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone running an MP3/CD player in their XJ about how well it's held up to trail abuse. I'd love to swap the Alpine CDA-7894 I've got in my car into the Jeep, but live in fear of destroying the armature or infesting it with dust. And key here is trying to avoid the cigarette lighter / tape adapter / portable MP3 player solution - I hate having extraneous stuff loose in the cabin, and they sound like crap anyway.

Failing that, does anyone know of an in-dash MP3 player that takes Compact Flash or similar? I'm honestly surprised that there doesn't seem to be one (at least, I haven't found it) on the market specifically for marine and off-road uses.
I run a JVC cd/mp3 for close to 3 years now and I sometimes even play the mp3 player on milder trails and it works fine (better then a straight out CD). When it gets too rough though I turn it off so that sudden jerks don't screw anything up insde.

I've had a jvc cd/mp3 player since the week after I got the jeep about a year and a half ago, and have used it on rough roads (going a bit too fast) some off roading, etc. and it rarely ever skips. I would recommend it to anyone else...they don't make the model I have anymore but it was about $200 from crutchfield.

Interesting. Thanks for the input, folks. I'd like to stick with Alpine since I really liked the one in my car, but I'll check out the JVCs as well.

Another thought had occurred to me: get a hard disk-based unit (like this one) and replace the internal HDD with a Compact Flash card since IDE and CF are pin-compatible.

The downsides: that unit's $1000 (adios lift & SYE), has no tuner (adios traffic reports), and requires an external amplifier (adios precious interior space). Maybe next year, once prices come down...

I highly recoment buying an alpine head unit. I have one and its the best head unit i have ever gotten out of the many ive tried. the speakers are 5-1/4s i would think and you cud run 10 10" subs if you wanted to theirs no way you can shatter glass with out the glass already having a crack in it. If I were you and looking to get some more bass. A stereo from circuit city or best buy will be fine they have cheap systems with good bass. If you want loud then go to a tweeter or performance sound place. They will have stuff that is a bit more pricey but has sound that will blow you away..I have 2 amps that are in great condition. I used them for a month and then realized they didnt power my 12"kicker L5 which peaks at 1200watts..Thats friggen loud!! The amps are us acoustics...great subs. 4channel. I could tell you the perfect subs to use on these amps. PM me

i also love Alpine and have had great luck with them. The only negative thing I can say about them is the FM tuners arent that great.

Atl XJ said:
i also love Alpine and have had great luck with them. The only negative thing I can say about them is the FM tuners arent that great.

Yep, two years with mine and I'm in total agreement. Here's a HDD-based player that also has an FM tuner and costs $350 less than the Alpine - still too pricey, though, but I do like the approach they took to accessing the HDD. If it were $400 or less I'd consider it.

The JVC I bought has a front aux input that I use to connect my satellite radio to, I've also connected it to my laptop, and you could use it for an iPod (or other MP3 player). I believe JVC and Aiwa were the only major brands that offered this feature (when I was looking), and nobody could recommend Aiwa to me. Just another option if you wanted MP3s...

jpfreak said:
The JVC I bought has a front aux input that I use to connect my satellite radio to, I've also connected it to my laptop, and you could use it for an iPod (or other MP3 player). I believe JVC and Aiwa were the only major brands that offered this feature (when I was looking), and nobody could recommend Aiwa to me. Just another option if you wanted MP3s...

Some Panasonic models have auxillary inputs too, there could be others too i just cant remember off hand. I also had a Panasonic that I was very happy with in addition to Alpine. I used to sell stereos at a stereo shop when I was in college and our customers very rarely had any problems with Panasonic units.

Last edited:
jpfreak said:
Just another option if you wanted MP3s...

True, but having lived with that arrangement in the past I really just want one box in the dash and no trailing wires, etc.

Back