• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belt Removal on a '97

keleka

NAXJA Forum User
What is neccessary to remove the serpentine belt? I see the long threaded bolt that goes through the steering pump bracket and threads through the idler/tensioner also. Do you need to loosen all the bolts on the power steering pump bracket in order to loosen up the belt? I'm thinking that that idler or tensioner could be going bad. Are they known to make noise under load? I've got 85K and this has never been changed. Please help.

I am not sure what the mounting configuration is for a 97, but the concept should be close to the same.

The power steering pump is often held in place by two bolts in the back and two in the front. You do not need to take them out only loosen them up. All but one are in slots. The one on the top is the pivot point. At that point you can make the adjustment, either to loosen for removal or tighten.

Yes the Idler will make noise. I just replaced mine and was surprised at the difference. Only $15. Make sure you get the right diameter. You will not need to remove the belt, only loosen it to take the tension off the pulley.

keleka said:
What is neccessary to remove the serpentine belt? I see the long threaded bolt that goes through the steering pump bracket and threads through the idler/tensioner also. Do you need to loosen all the bolts on the power steering pump bracket in order to loosen up the belt? I'm thinking that that idler or tensioner could be going bad. Are they known to make noise under load? I've got 85K and this has never been changed. Please help.
IIRC you gotta loosen the pully first that is on that long bolt and then loosen that bolt.

The method for adjusting the late-model 4.0XJ belt tension is as follows:

Loosen the bolt that runs through the center of the idler pulley closest to the PS pump. Then there is a bolt that faces upward at a 45 degree angle toward's the thermostat housing. That screw is the tensioning jackscrew. Turn it clockwise to tension the belt, and opposite to loosen.

After tensioning, don't forget to re-tighten the center bolt on the pulley.

Thanks for the help. It doesn't seem that hard. How much tension should the belt have? Is there any way to determine it without a belt tension gauge/tool?

Just pick up the $14 gauge from napa, Krikit II, takes the guess work out of it. The tension is 190lbs for a new belt, new belt is one that has been run for less than 15 minutes. Tension on a used belt is 160, used belt defined by a belt run longer than 15 minutes. After you have done 50 or so you can probably guess at the tension but most peoples guess's are closer to 90lbs....

AZ Jeff said:
The method for adjusting the late-model 4.0XJ belt tension is as follows:

Loosen the bolt that runs through the center of the idler pulley closest to the PS pump. Then there is a bolt that faces upward at a 45 degree angle toward's the thermostat housing. That screw is the tensioning jackscrew. Turn it clockwise to tension the belt, and opposite to loosen.

After tensioning, don't forget to re-tighten the center bolt on the pulley.
hey, i have a 94 4.0L, how do i adjust the tension on the belt? because when i turn on the a/c, she starts to squeel like a banshee.

ASJackman said:
hey, i have a 94 4.0L, how do i adjust the tension on the belt? because when i turn on the a/c, she starts to squeel like a banshee.
On the older XJ's with a 4.0, there is a different method for tensioning the belt. Here is how:

1. Remove the air filter box (this makes steps later MUCH easier)
2. There are THREE bolts that hold the PS pump to it's bracket: two on the back below the #1 cylinder intake manifold runner, and one on the front below the PS pump pulley. Loosen all three of these bolts.
3. Below the PS pump, facing sideways towards where the air box was, is a bolt that is the tensioning jackscrew. Loosening or tightening this bolt will move the pump towards or away from the engine to change belt tension. (You may have to push the pump towards the engine while turning the screw for loosening)
4. After tensioning with the jackscrew, retighten all three mounting bolts, and reinstall the air filter box.

AZ Jeff said:
On the older XJ's with a 4.0, there is a different method for tensioning the belt. Here is how:

1. Remove the air filter box (this makes steps later MUCH easier)
2. There are THREE bolts that hold the PS pump to it's bracket: two on the back below the #1 cylinder intake manifold runner, and one on the front below the PS pump pulley. Loosen all three of these bolts.
3. Below the PS pump, facing sideways towards where the air box was, is a bolt that is the tensioning jackscrew. Loosening or tightening this bolt will move the pump towards or away from the engine to change belt tension. (You may have to push the pump towards the engine while turning the screw for loosening)
4. After tensioning with the jackscrew, retighten all three mounting bolts, and reinstall the air filter box.

I know im Resurecting a dead Thread, But i was trying to change my water pump and it appears that the tensioner is frozen i have loosened all the bolts but when i turn the Jackscrew it just backs it self out. I don't know what to do. This is on an 89 4.0

MockKnight said:
I know im Resurecting a dead Thread, But i was trying to change my water pump and it appears that the tensioner is frozen i have loosened all the bolts but when i turn the Jackscrew it just backs it self out. I don't know what to do. This is on an 89 4.0
Not sure on an 89 but on my 98XJ and both 97TJ's I have to loosen the bolt a tad on the front of the idler pulley which is how a 97+ belt is adjusted.

On a 1989, you will need to loosen the bolts on both the front and back of the PS pump. When loose, the pump should actually wiggle a bit on it's mounting bracket.

Since you say the jackscrew is just backing out of it's socket in the bracket, I am betting you don't have all the pump mounting bolts loosened sufficiently.

Back