• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why am I leaking ATF?

FrankDV1

NAXJA Forum User
My 97 XJ , 4.0, Command Trac has developed a leak. It seems to be coming from where the trans meets the engine(bell housing?). Here's the problem: It doesn't happen all the the time.

I went wheeling in the woods and water the first time and it started leaking on the exhaust pipe, before the crossmember, underneath the truck. This happened on the way home 35 - 40 miles after the trip thru the woods. It soaked most of the undercarriage. Thought I took on water and it leaked from the trans vent. Haha, it stopped on its own. Had a trans shop purge and fill. Also changed the filter.

Went wheeling again...creeks and a shallow lake(2' -3'). Even some pulling people out. No problems! Went wheelin' a third time...same as the first, 33 miles total around 5 to 10 MPH...no leakage. Leak was back, but not until I was almost home. That was some 30 miles after the trip. Decided to check it out, but could not get it to leak again.

Took a roadtrip later that week...started leaking again. Alot of stop and go traffic. Didn't leak as much going home, but it was later at night and no traffic. I put in trans sealer after that...didn't work.

Presently, it only leaks when the temp gauge goes above 210. Not sure if it's the duration of the ride or actual temp that is causing leak. Short rides + low temp = no leakage. I checked pan bolts and the dipstick/filler tube they are fine. It shifts fine. I'm seriously perplexed. There's no visible leakage from above...definitely leaks from where I said earlier.

BTW - it's basically stock, no lift, only 235/75R15 Walmart mud tires. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I let the repair shop loose on it.

Frank

the tranny fill tube is 2 pcs...... it connects together down near the pan....is that connection leaking? follow the fill tube down to the pan.

Regads
Chewy

It's probly not leaking. More than likely your tranny is overfilled. When the engine gets hot the fluid warms up it expands and heads out the vent tube. Thats why it is dripping down the front of the bell housing... It is an automatic....Right?

ChEwBaCcA said:
the tranny fill tube is 2 pcs...... it connects together down near the pan....is that connection leaking? follow the fill tube down to the pan.

Regads
Chewy

The tube and the connection to the pan is fine...thanks.

Frank

logdog said:
It's probly not leaking. More than likely your tranny is overfilled. When the engine gets hot the fluid warms up it expands and heads out the vent tube. Thats why it is dripping down the front of the bell housing... It is an automatic....Right?

The fluid level is at the "hole" in the middle of stick. About midway between "add" line and full. It is an auto..AW4. I figured it has to do with heat and built up pressure. I'm going to look at the vent. I believe it's on the top, near the front of trans. Thanks for the suggestions.

Frank

Back