• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need gear install locally

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
i just purchased gears for my xj and this is a project i cannot do. im just seeing if someone in the portland/seattle area would be able to tackle that project for me a little cheaper than a shop would do it. Im broke so i cant fork out 300 for an install.

Consider also that if you pull the axle shafts first you'll cut down greatly on install time/expense. Put them back in yourself after the gears are installed.

ECKSJAY said:
Consider also that if you pull the axle shafts first you'll cut down greatly on install time/expense. Put them back in yourself after the gears are installed.

Heck, if you can pull the while axle and give em the housing. Then again, that may not work with a shop. But who I'm going with, I was told my rear axle will be cheaper since I'm giving them just the bare housing, the front would be bit more since it will need to be done in the Jeep. Just my $.02 worth.

railroadjeep said:
Heck, if you can pull the while axle and give em the housing. Then again, that may not work with a shop. But who I'm going with, I was told my rear axle will be cheaper since I'm giving them just the bare housing, the front would be bit more since it will need to be done in the Jeep. Just my $.02 worth.

Both my contacts in the biz said they'd charge more if the axle was out of the Jeep...because they have to heft it around and strap it to the bench securely enough to work on it.

In the Jeep, on a lift, all they have to do is drop the tierod. Everything else is right there.

I see your $0.02 and raise you a nickel. ;) :D

you cant drive around with axle shafts right?
may be a dumb question but how am i going to get it somewhere if i do that
i guess i will jsut keep on looking for a place who wont jew me

dellstopjeep said:
you cant drive around with axle shafts right?
may be a dumb question but how am i going to get it somewhere if i do that

Front shafts you can. Jeep will just be 2WD. Pull your front driveshaft, too. Stuff some rags in the tubes to keep the gear oil from coming out. Rear is different. It's also not a hassle to pull rears off like it is the front where you have calipers and unibearings bolted in.

Sorry for not clarifying that. ;)

DO NOT drive without the front shafts in!! unless you have a stub shaft (outer shaft) or a 2wd bearing shaft. the unitized hubs require the shaft to hold them together. You try driving without that you'll probably lose a tire!!

cherokeekid said:
DO NOT drive without the front shafts in!! unless you have a stub shaft (outer shaft) or a 2wd bearing shaft. the unitized hubs require the shaft to hold them together. You try driving without that you'll probably lose a tire!!

Thanks for tossing that in there. D'oh! You'd think I'd have said that...shit.

Sorry. Keep the stub in and tight (175lb-ft, methinks?), take the inner shaft out and pull the ujoint. That unibearing will come apart in a hurry if you don't...resulting in (if you're going slow enough) bent caliper brackets, broken caliper bolts, gouged rotors, broken pads. Ask me how I know. I've seen it happen. If they hold together and you go faster they'll fall apart and you'll roll the Jeep when the wheel comes flying off. Have seen pics of that...*shudder*

Crap, thanks Mike.

Especially while you're trying to figure out why you are seeing sky, then road, then sky, then road...all the while enduring a loud crunching/screeching noise, and I'm not talking about a Yoko Ono concert.

dellstopjeep said:

I think I'll just keeping looking for the racism in your comment. What a dumbass.

John90XJ said:
I think I'll just keeping looking for the racism in your comment. What a dumbass.

Awe, c'mon John...we're just having a little discussion. Whatever happened to free speech? It's just a little good-natured ribbing.

:rattle:

glenn, at alignments plus in bellevue has some decent labor prices. thats where i had mine done. it was cheaper than i was able to find anywhere else.

give him a call

tell him i sent ya

Back