• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8" Skyjacker rock-ready lift kit

The West Coast crew refers to this kit as the "Rock Un-Ready" kit.

I think one of the boys out here has gone through 4 axle cradles, one cradle only made it 300 yds into the Rubicon before it cracked in two spots.

CRASH

Yeah it would be better to go RE 5.5" and cut fender, you don't need 8"s of lift.

I say this because if you actually needed 8" lift you wouldn't be asking about SJ and your drivetrain would be completely replaced.

"think one of the boys out here has gone through 4 axle cradles, one cradle only made it 300 yds into the Rubicon before it cracked in two spots"

well is this because of the lift itself, or because of some other issues that the guy already had....i find it hard to believe that they would continue to sell this if it caused so many problems???

skyjacker really that bad? that was kind of one of the lifts i had wanted in the future. whose to say he does not need that much lift, maybe he wants to get that and trim fenders and run 37's

im not plannin on cuttin fenders, and i only plan to run 33s for the time being.....that being said, lets hop back on the actual kit discussion ;)

also, everyone ive spoken with that has used or installed the SJ 6" kit has been more than impressed

Hey man, if you have the money to shell out for the RR kit go for it! Personally I have the RE stuff and I love it. Go with whatever works for you...some guys will love it..some will hate it...just as some guys like the RK rear coils and some don't...this lift is for you...get it, put it on, and then figure out what you love or hate about it...then change accordingly...thats what I did/doing!!! :D

mike

Ramsey said:
skyjacker really that bad? that was kind of one of the lifts i had wanted in the future. whose to say he does not need that much lift, maybe he wants to get that and trim fenders and run 37's

you dont need 8" lift to run 37s. 6.5" works well(so does the RE 5.5"). just have to trim a little. 8" kit w/ trimming will get your 38s or 39s.

rideabike said:
im not plannin on cuttin fenders, and i only plan to run 33s

Thats what I was thinking. The RE 5.5" with the correct bumpstops would be your best bet for 33s and very minimal fender trimage. As you may know RE's lifts run a little tall, expect atleast 6". Also that just saved you what $1200? Now you can get gears and maybe a locker with the cash you just saved. You will probably need an SYE and cv shaft also.

rideabike said:
"think one of the boys out here has gone through 4 axle cradles, one cradle only made it 300 yds into the Rubicon before it cracked in two spots"

well is this because of the lift itself, or because of some other issues that the guy already had....i find it hard to believe that they would continue to sell this if it caused so many problems???

Relatively new Jeep, kit was professionally installed, after the fourth cradle, the seller/installer of the kit bought it back from him because the installer was tired of throwing labor and time at it.

The cradle may have been redesigned since then, but until that is confirmed, I would stay away from it. The cradle undergoes tremendous twisting forces when articulated, and tends to crack in the heat affected areas of the welds.

CRASH

MuddinXJ said:
you dont need 8" lift to run 37s. 6.5" works well(so does the RE 5.5"). just have to trim a little. 8" kit w/ trimming will get your 38s or 39s.

i didn't know that, but you get my point

I use the subframe and arms and like them a lot. But I don't rock crawl, I run trails and like prerunning in the desert. The angle of the arms is good. They are longer than stock, a little over 20" vs. 15", and everything is built stout. I use 12" shocks and my shocks limit the travel and articulation long before the arms. Anyways, I've never heard anything good about the cradle that comes with the 8" lift, but I've abused the 6" parts and can attest to their strength. I can't say whether they work on the rocks because I have almost no experience there.

marcus

Go with the RE 5.5 inch, I just installed a RE 4.5 on an XJ and it sits about 6 inches higher, it still sits this way after about 2 months, they're great kits and with the 5.5 you wont be dissapointed, with it and some 33's you could do almost any trail you want, especially if you throw in some lockers. Good luck

Can anyone post of pictures of their rigs with the Skyjacker Rock Ready lift??? I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

the photos will speak for themselves as far as flex. about the cradle issue: there is a weak spot that is easily fixed with a small 1/4 " plate. ride quality is excelent. i do alot of 2-4 day several hundred mile off road trips and everyone wants to ride with me because ive got the smoothest ride. i also wheel on pretty decent stuff every weekend. one issue that has been resolved by skyjacker is that they used to run heim joints on their control arms and they wore out almost instantly. (i love heim joints but i think theirs were poor quality) they now have rebuildable johnny joints. it is important to run proper bump stops/ limiting straps because this lift will flex past the limits of the johnny joints and it will ruin them (the bolt will bend the washers on the joints) hope this is helpfull, let me know if you have any questions.

Back