• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pics of my cage, already.

Fore Wheeler

MWC President
NAXJA Member
the blue alum is going to be painted, as will the cage, I just got the jeep home last night and still have some work to do, but here it is.

815cage1-med.jpg

815cage2-med.jpg

815cage3-med.jpg

Ugliest thing I've seen since the "short bus". :D

CRASH

purdy

Very nice ... thought you were gonna make us all wait for NACfest. Glad to see you have it 'bout ready.

Les

I have to agree with crash that it is pretty darn ugly, but who cares as long as it can wheel!!-----------Kyle

Last edited:
The cage looks very well built. how did you tie into the frame rails?

nice.

cept one thing.......the extra aluminum in the rear section makes your rig look like a hockey rink. Very bark-o-licious.

but the cage looks stout. lets see some more detail pics!

the 'a' and 'b' hoops are welded to my rocker, which is then braced back to the frame, lca mount and rear/front spring hanger, the 'c' hoop is welded directly to the side of the frame, and the 'd' is on plates that are welded to the top of the rear/rear spring hanger.

I don't like the rear alum either, but it covers my cuts from the original c and d pilars, the c pilar area was a concern to me cuz it's close to the rear passenger area and it is sharp, I could see cut fingers/arms if the rear passengers were to get tossed into that area. The guy that built the cage did the alum work as a 'bonus' gift to me, now I've got a bunch of holes where it's rivoted to the body, something will be done by next week.

Hey FW, I started an Off Topic thread a couple of weeks ago for you to show me some in-n-out pics of your bus. Would you indulge me please?

Fore Wheeler said:
the 'a' and 'b' hoops are welded to my rocker, which is then braced back to the frame, lca mount and rear/front spring hanger, the 'c' hoop is welded directly to the side of the frame, and the 'd' is on plates that are welded to the top of the rear/rear spring hanger.

good stuff.

don't forget to get a case of pool noodles

Beezil said:
don't forget to get a case of pool noodles

got some yellow bar pads ordered, they're $2 per 3' (cheap 'nuff), 'sides, I heard that if you wheel in a sport coat you should not use pool noodles, it may tear the threads.

I was going to steal the insulation from the plumbing that we have here in the house, but ang put the stops to that. :D

Okie Terry said:
Hey FW, I started an Off Topic thread a couple of weeks ago for you to show me some in-n-out pics of your bus. Would you indulge me please?

I don't have any interior pics, and it's trashed right now.

you've prob seen this one already...

815bus2jeeps-med.jpg

I'm in the process of obtaining a bed from a roll back, once that becomes real, I'll be cutting the body/floor off from the back of the cab and putting the bed on with a beaver tail, it may or may not happen this summer. we'll see.

Fore Wheeler said:
got some yellow bar pads ordered, they're $2 per 3' (cheap 'nuff), 'sides, I heard that if you wheel in a sport coat you should not use pool noodles, it may tear the threads.

I was going to steal the insulation from the plumbing that we have here in the house, but ang put the stops to that. :D

yes, as long as you aren't wearing your sport jacket, the yellow bar pads will definitly withstand a game of rugby......

Back