• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has the highest Miles on an OEM 4.0L...no head/cylinder work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

4WDXPRT

NAXJA Forum User
I'm at 314,000 miles on my Red 1989 with the original 4.0. And I drove it to work today for a lifetime alignment job at Firestone that I purchased in 1997...at least they respect their contracts even from out-of-state stores.

Anyway just curious how far a OEM 4.0 can make it. I've got a freshly rebuilt spare ready to go...in fact I need to go up to Fort Collins and get it down to Denver soon.

TGIF!

88 Laredo 2D/4.0/5sp/NP231/235K or thereabouts.

At last quarterly check...

Oil pressure - Nominal
Compression - 8.78:1 calculated, 5% variance
Mileage - 22mpg freeway, 17mpg city, 12mpg Campus parking (Too much time idling...)
Standard Operating Temperature - 190*F

The only real drivetrain problems I have are that the front U-joints finally need to be replaced, and the Peugeot needs to be scrapped. How's that?

Oh - for pure longevity, how about a 1987 4.0 that got a hole blown int he side big enough to put your fist thru, had the loose piece JBWelded back into place, and racked up another 50K miles? The only better engines I've dealt with run on Diesel...

5-90

88 about at 300K

87 about at 250k before it was killed by a lexus

****SNICKER SNORT GIGGLE*****

I have a 84 with those worthless v6 in it at 240K... :D

I have a well maintained, never abused 95 4.0L with 89K and bad piston slap at idle, its been doing it since 70K. You guys suck, lol.

Last edited:
'88 XJ = 240,000

'88 MJ (2.5L, but essentially the same engine) 219,000

Guess I've got a way to go to catch up :wave:

Someone I used to work with had a 94 XJ. It got t-boned around 2000 with 350,000 miles on the odometer. Zero maintenance except for the expected fluid changes and such.

94 with 130k....the last 5k of which was after the engine was submerged in water for 3 hours :confused1

I have 173k miles on my '92 XJ 4.0. Home ported the head last year at 163k miles for more performance. Engine ran very strongly until then and runs even stronger now. No leaks, negligible oil consumption, minimal cold start piston slap, oil pressure good, only 6% variance in compression between all cylinders. As sweet as a 4.0 could be and I love it to bits.
Despite that, I'm building a 4.6L stroker engine in my spare time and it'll hopefully be going into my XJ in the summer. If it's at least as reliable as my 4.0 I'll be a very happy camper.

Yep, I'm about to tick over to 216k on the 4.0 in my 87. I have to add half a quart of oil for every full tank of gas, but that's mainly the valve cover gasket that I'm too lazy to fix. When this motor goes I'm going to either build a stroker or a regular 4.0 litre with some little things to boost the performance but keep it reliable still, and I'm going to get it on a steady diet of synthetic. Should last me a LONG time at that rate. That'll probably be far in the future, because I'm not so sure the one in here has any inclination of giving up anytime soon.

I HAVE 182 CHANGE THE OIL WHEN I FEEL LIKE IT :yelclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back