NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old April 8th, 2003, 21:25
PostMaster General

Rusty's Cross Member and 1" drop cross member

OK... so the big question is is the 1" drop one less sturdy (sacrificing some brace or stiffener) because it is supposedly same clearance as the other one.

Also for time being can I attach that stock t-case skid to it for now? (I am sooooo broke at the moment and my tax refund $$ has to go to something else )

Kejtar
Old April 8th, 2003, 21:51
NAXJA Forum User

If your so broke just do a TC case drop, if you already didn't have one. At the most it would cost you about $25 for a piece of 1x2 rect tubing and some bolts. Use Gojeep's instructions, I hope you can convert metric to imperial.

Later when you have the money get the SYE.
Old April 8th, 2003, 21:56
PostMaster General

I have the drop, that's not the issue, but I am considering going without the drop for a while if I can use the crossmember with the 1" lowering from the get go (so for time being I get best of both worlds: drop and keep clearance)

Kejtar
P.S. I was born and raised on metric... I still have trouble with imperial every so often.....
Old April 8th, 2003, 22:12
NAXJA Forum User

Good point, I guess you could always resell the cross member.
Old April 8th, 2003, 22:13
PostMaster General

yup
Old April 8th, 2003, 22:19
NAXJA Forum User

I'm using Rusty's 1" drop cross member. My guess is it's 1/4" steel, and welded into a box, so I doubt you're going to hurt it. Mine has been on for about a year and a half now, with 2 trips to Paragon and some local wheeling, and other than a bunch of scratches, it still looks new. I'd say go for it, you won't be sorry you did.
Old April 9th, 2003, 00:36
NAXJA Forum User

Kej, how pressed are you for time?? I was going to work on a flat x-member this weekend for myself. I could probably duplicate it fairly cheaply and send you one. You could just lower it so that you are at or below the stock height(a flat x-member raises the tranny 5/8"(a little more than 1cm )). Let me know if you're interested in hearing more. Peace

Ary
Old April 9th, 2003, 02:31
NAXJA Forum User

You cannot fit the Mopar t-case skid to the 1" drop crossmember. The t-case hangs too low to attach the skid to the crossmember. Rustys long arm kit comes with the built in 1" drop and im going to install a 1" raised tranny mount to get the t-case up where it belongs. My advice ist: Don't do it, if clearance is important for you go with the SYE an then loose the 1" drop.
Old April 9th, 2003, 10:23
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally posted by XJoachim
You cannot fit the Mopar t-case skid to the 1" drop crossmember. The t-case hangs too low to attach the skid to the crossmember.
My factory transfercase skid bolts up without any problem to Rustys' drop crossmember. The x-fer case doesn't come close to hitting the skid. Weird.
Old April 9th, 2003, 15:03
PostMaster General

to those of you that installed the crossmember: the tranny mount just matches over? I hope
Old April 9th, 2003, 15:59
NAXJA Member

Yes, same mount.
Old April 9th, 2003, 19:17
NAXJA Member

Top notch piece I've got the 1" drop version,x-case skid,and engine skid. It was expensive to buy it all,but I've never for a second regretted it!
Old April 13th, 2003, 21:44
NAXJA Forum User

Spacer

I Rusty's Cross member with the 1" drop. Even Rusty's when I tried to put Rusty's Skid Plate back on I needed to use some spacers between the skid and the crossmember to clear the x-case. Works great and looks fine.
Old April 13th, 2003, 22:50
PostMaster General

hmmm... I didn't seem to have that problem... I just had to use a BFH to shape it better LOL. In any case I will be looking into better alternatives though for the skid