NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old February 16th, 2004, 14:17
NAXJA Forum User

Anyone hard line there OBA lines?

I have had the York for quite a while installed where the battery goes with a tank in the back of the XJ. I've had regular air hoses ran but they are getting dry rotted and cracking from the heat and now leaking. I'd like to run copper tubbing and just hard line everything. Anyone have any comments on this good or bad? TIA Jeff CamoXJ
Old February 16th, 2004, 15:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by giranger
I have had the York for quite a while installed where the battery goes with a tank in the back of the XJ. I've had regular air hoses ran but they are getting dry rotted and cracking from the heat and now leaking. I'd like to run copper tubbing and just hard line everything. Anyone have any comments on this good or bad? TIA Jeff CamoXJ
I'm getting ready to put OBA in soon. I'll be hard piping most of it using copper L-tube ACR, brazed with 15% sil-foss alloy rod. It's good for hundreds of psi, and easy to work with. There are many ways to terminate the ends using flares, mechanical joints, adapters, and vibration eliminators. Go to professional refrigeration-A/C supply house to see what's available.
Old February 16th, 2004, 15:42
NAXJA Forum User

I have a little of both rubber line and steel brake line...even some copper. No problems. get a good flare tool.

Rev
Old February 16th, 2004, 17:40
Member #Nay

3/8" Aluminum tubing, and flared ends.

no prolemo.
Old February 16th, 2004, 19:26
NAXJA Forum User

I used 3/8" DOT nylon tubing throughout my OBA system. The stuff is used on big rigs for airbrakes (hence the DOT approval) is good for up to 300psi and is pretty flexible and you can get lots of different types of ends for it. I've used this stuff in airbag installs and it holds up well to high pressures and doesn't leak.

-jb
Old February 16th, 2004, 21:44
NAXJA Forum User

I guess my next question should be which is the cheapest route Gotta save money for my other billion projects. Jeff CamoXJ
Old February 16th, 2004, 21:49
NAXJA Forum User

I just ran a cheapo line to the rear bumper (airtank) and used a bunch of zip-ties. I'm cheap, and it works, had it like that for over a year now. I only use my compressor when I'm actually using it though, I never have (compressed) air in the system unless I'm actually using it.
Old February 17th, 2004, 00:00
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezil
3/8" Aluminum tubing, and flared ends.

no prolemo.
Forgive my ignorance, can normal brass flare fittings be used? Or does aluminum require diffrent stuff?
Old February 18th, 2004, 20:21
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by giranger
I guess my next question should be which is the cheapest route Gotta save money for my other billion projects. Jeff CamoXJ
DOT line is about .60/ft ends vary by type but usually around a buck each.