• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone hard line there OBA lines?

giranger

NAXJA Forum User
I have had the York for quite a while installed where the battery goes with a tank in the back of the XJ. I've had regular air hoses ran but they are getting dry rotted and cracking from the heat and now leaking. I'd like to run copper tubbing and just hard line everything. Anyone have any comments on this good or bad? TIA Jeff CamoXJ

giranger said:
I have had the York for quite a while installed where the battery goes with a tank in the back of the XJ. I've had regular air hoses ran but they are getting dry rotted and cracking from the heat and now leaking. I'd like to run copper tubbing and just hard line everything. Anyone have any comments on this good or bad? TIA Jeff CamoXJ
I'm getting ready to put OBA in soon. I'll be hard piping most of it using copper L-tube ACR, brazed with 15% sil-foss alloy rod. It's good for hundreds of psi, and easy to work with. There are many ways to terminate the ends using flares, mechanical joints, adapters, and vibration eliminators. Go to professional refrigeration-A/C supply house to see what's available.

I used 3/8" DOT nylon tubing throughout my OBA system. The stuff is used on big rigs for airbrakes (hence the DOT approval) is good for up to 300psi and is pretty flexible and you can get lots of different types of ends for it. I've used this stuff in airbag installs and it holds up well to high pressures and doesn't leak.

-jb

I guess my next question should be which is the cheapest route party1: Gotta save money for my other billion projects. Jeff CamoXJ

I just ran a cheapo line to the rear bumper (airtank) and used a bunch of zip-ties. I'm cheap, and it works, had it like that for over a year now. I only use my compressor when I'm actually using it though, I never have (compressed) air in the system unless I'm actually using it.

Beezil said:
3/8" Aluminum tubing, and flared ends.

no prolemo.
Forgive my ignorance, can normal brass flare fittings be used? Or does aluminum require diffrent stuff?

giranger said:
I guess my next question should be which is the cheapest route party1: Gotta save money for my other billion projects. Jeff CamoXJ

DOT line is about .60/ft ends vary by type but usually around a buck each.

Back