• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird popping sounds up front

Fonzie14

NAXJA Forum User
Well, with the smow this weekend in the northeast, i used my 4H for the first time since i upgraded my suspension. I noticed a lot of weird popping sounds up front when i was turning at slow to moderate speeds and when backing up. there is no apparent noise when in 2wd. I upgraded from a 3" to a RE 4.5" w/ Tom woods, and AA SYE, disconects, and am running 31s (no rubbing). Let me know if you have any ideas. thanks

-fonz

Check the front axle u-joints :D

I just did a trip yesterday and got a lot of popping noises up front too. I'm planning on pulling the front axle shafts and replacing/checking the joints, but I've already looked at them on the vehicle and didn't see anything abnormal. What will you usually notice while looking at it on the vehicle if a U-joint is busted? TIA.

Last edited:
Most of the time you don't see it, watch for signs of rust. Replace them, they are cheap and if you get used to it you can change a u-joint in 30 minutes. :D

Back