NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 19th, 2003, 12:53
NAXJA Forum User

brake hard lines

i somehow managed to get my hard line from the rear passenger brake to the junction box thing hung up on something yesterday. anyway, i need to get a new line ASAP. any suggestions.

BTW, its for a 8.8.

thanks.
Old October 19th, 2003, 13:07
Lifetime NAXJA Member

Although I've heard of some dealers who actually stock pre-fittted brake lines, mine is a "real" Jeep dealer and they don't -- they stock the same universal straight lengths you can buy at Pep Boys, etc. Take your old line in and buy the shortest one that's at least as long as your total length.

If you have access to a double flare tool, you can trim it the exact length and reflare. Otherwise, bend it as close to the original shape as possible and try to put the excess length out of the way where it won't get hung up.

Owner/Driver/Enabler of "The Fleet"
Self-appointed President-for-Life of the World MJ Preservation Society
Old October 19th, 2003, 21:14
NAXJA Forum User

all i did was cut the line re flair it and put a coupler on and ran a line from that! u don't have to run a new line from the brake thingy too much work!!

stoney
Old October 20th, 2003, 16:33
NAXJA Forum User

i'm going to try and salvage the lines that are on there right now. but, can i use a single flare tool? i have only looked at the local advance auto thus far, but that was all they had. it looked to me from a visual inspection, that it would work fine. anyway, if i can't salvage the current lines, i'll probably stop by NAPA and see what they have (pick up a tubing bender) and make some new closer fitting lines. i believe they sell them pre-flared. there is some good info in some of the earlier posts i searched. you guys were very helpful there as well. thanks again.
Old October 20th, 2003, 19:17
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoney
all i did was cut the line re flair it and put a coupler on and ran a line from that! u don't have to run a new line from the brake thingy too much work!!

stoney
that's by far the easiest way. And the flair tool is easy to use.
Old October 20th, 2003, 19:26
Lifetime NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thompson97
i'm going to try and salvage the lines that are on there right now. but, can i use a single flare tool?
NO!

Absolutely not. With a single flare, the edge of the metal is stretched, and it will crack. That's why they use double flares. If you can't find a double flare tool, use precut lines.

I'm amazed that an auto parts store wouldn't have a double flare tool -- or that they would bother selling a single flare tool, since there's no place on an automobile that uses a single flare tube. Are you certain that wasn't a double flare tool you saw?

Owner/Driver/Enabler of "The Fleet"
Self-appointed President-for-Life of the World MJ Preservation Society
Old October 20th, 2003, 20:24
I have not Confirmed, or I used a BAD email Addy

I just used a couple different size sockets and some arm power to bend mine. Worked fine. And free.