NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old December 6th, 2017, 15:09
NAXJA Forum User

Not blowing air

87 xj Wagoneer limited

I want to do what I can before taking off the dash. The levers on the hvac controls feel like they're mechanically actuating the switches so I don't think it's disconnected. Blower for vents/heat and ac compressor both don't turn on. I was thinking blower motor or connection but i don't think that explains no AC sooooooo.....where do I start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 6th, 2017, 15:29
NAXJA Member

Re: Not blowing air

One of the more common failures is the speed dial on the HVAC control unit, the dial is known to melt and short the contacts. Not a hard repair but before you do that you should verify the fuses and motor. There is a blower motor fuse either under the hood or under the dash, I can't recall. You can also use some wire to run direct battery power to the blower motor and verify that its not seized.
Old December 6th, 2017, 18:02
NAXJA# 2091

It could be one or more of the following.

The blower fuse under the dash drivers side..
The wire to the Ignition switch that powers the Blower and radio and WS Wipers.
The ignition switch (contacts that power the blower etc)
The AC blower speed switch.
The speed resistor pack that blower selector switch powers to drop the blower speed it is under the dash on the passenger side
And the blower motor itself.
10 years ago I had to replace them all on an 85 and many of them on the 87, with in about three years as one going bad stresses them all into overheating.

The Wagoneer is super rare and very valuable now!!!

If yours is a manual transmission check the fuse and fuse holder as the master cylinder likes to leak brake fluid from the Transmission MS onto it and it ruins the fuse contacts in the fuse block.

On my 87 Wagoneer, I replaced the wires from the battery to the fuse to the ignitions witch, with 10 gauge wire (stock is 14 gauge BS) and a 30 amp dash toggle switch and 30 am breaker (fuse). It also runs the electric seats and windows, and radio and windshield wiper and turn signals on one piss ant 14 gauge wire.
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091

Last edited by Ecomike; December 6th, 2017 at 18:07.
Old December 6th, 2017, 20:32
NAXJA Forum User

Not blowing air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecomike View Post
It could be one or more of the following.

The blower fuse under the dash drivers side..
The wire to the Ignition switch that powers the Blower and radio and WS Wipers.
The ignition switch (contacts that power the blower etc)
The AC blower speed switch.
The speed resistor pack that blower selector switch powers to drop the blower speed it is under the dash on the passenger side
And the blower motor itself.
10 years ago I had to replace them all on an 85 and many of them on the 87, with in about three years as one going bad stresses them all into overheating.

The Wagoneer is super rare and very valuable now!!!

If yours is a manual transmission check the fuse and fuse holder as the master cylinder likes to leak brake fluid from the Transmission MS onto it and it ruins the fuse contacts in the fuse block.

On my 87 Wagoneer, I replaced the wires from the battery to the fuse to the ignitions witch, with 10 gauge wire (stock is 14 gauge BS) and a 30 amp dash toggle switch and 30 am breaker (fuse). It also runs the electric seats and windows, and radio and windshield wiper and turn signals on one piss ant 14 gauge wire.

Extremely helpful! Would you mind if I pm'd you as I get into it?

Old December 7th, 2017, 05:13
NAXJA# 2091

PM is fine, no problem, but sharing the repair path publicly serves others with the same problem in the future.
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old December 7th, 2017, 07:58
NAXJA Forum User

Not blowing air

Fair enough! Will follow up this weekend when I get into it.

Old December 8th, 2017, 05:33
NAXJA Member

If you can hear the motor run in the high mode only then it is probably the resistor pack. If you can hear the motor in all speeds, check to make sure it isn't coming out the defrosters all the time. If so you have a vacuum leak. If it simply does not run at all, check the fuse, then measure voltage on the motor directly. If you have voltage there, replace the fan.

Happy Hunting.
Old December 9th, 2017, 05:53
NAXJA Forum User

Here's something you should do as a preventative measure while you're working on it.

http://cruiser54.com/?p=211