• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone Replace a 2 Door Window Themselves?

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My passenger side front window was recently knocked out and a bunch of my stuff was stolen. Insurance will cover the window and the body damage done to the door and the body as well.

I opted to pick up the window and do the install myself to save some money. I've done some custom audio installation in the Jeep so I am familiar with the inside of the door panel but I'm wondering if anyone has gone through the window install themselves.

It looks like I will need to transfer the old rubber grommets from the busted window to the new window myself and probably pull some trim to get the window inside the door.

From there, looks to be the same as a regulator replacment.

Any additional insights would be appreciated!

Thanks,

MG

Year of xj and more description of which window (or a pic) would help. I'm going to assume that you have an early model and it is the small wing window that is broken.

If it is the vent style window that was broken, you should be able to unscrew it from the frame and put the new one in without disassembling the door.

Late model, passenger front window.

Replaced it today, pretty straight forward. Had to transfer the plastic screw tabs over to the new window. These are the tabs used to attach the screws to the regulator brackets.

Had to pull all the window molding to get the window to slide in properly. Didn't align the front edge of the window in the lower window channel in the door the first attempt.

Once that was done, the window worked properly. Albeit, slowwww. I'd like to refurb the regulator if possible. Heard they're hard to find these days.

All in all, pretty easy. Toughest part has been getting the sticky tape residue off the molding from having the window taped up.

Thanks

Once that was done, the window worked properly. Albeit, slowwww. I'd like to refurb the regulator if possible. Heard they're hard to find these days.
Thanks

You should have sprayed some grease in the regulator track while you had the door open. Just did that on my MJ after the manual windows wouldn't budge when it got cold. Now it runs up/down smooth as butter.

Back