NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 14th, 2017, 10:14
NAXJA Forum User
Rear Driveshaft Slip Amount

I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer to this off hand???

How much axle fore and aft movement do you get in the rear leaf spring set up? I'm still using RE 4.5" leafs (new since I bent my 3.5" ones) + 1.5" shackle in the rear. How much total slip is needed in the rear drive shaft? I'm not looking for the driveshaft overall length, just the slip amount needed.

I'm mid project and can't move anything to try to measure. Everything is on jack stands and half built. I'm asking because I want to make sure the drive shaft kit I am thinking about purchasing has enough effective slip. I think it does (I don't think there was a whole lot of movement in the rear) but can't remember from last time I had shafts built.

This is a non-street driven XJ-Truggy trailer queen. I am building 2.5" x 1/4" wall DOM 1410 drive shafts with the EOR kit on the front and hopefully on the rear. I'll do final measurements and build the shafts when I can sit it on it's weight again. I can cycle my front 3 link without coils easy enough to get simple measurements through the travel. New leaf springs are a pain in the ass to try and figure out!

Picture because everyone likes pictures.
New build coming with even less Cherokee!