NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 18th, 2017, 09:47
NAXJA Forum User

Head gasket recommendation

Hi,

I'm rebuilding the Golen 4.6 stroker for my DD. I have a Hesco aluminum head that I'm going to install while its on the stand. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the head, and can recommend a particular head gasket to use. I removed the head from another jeep in the middle of moving houses, and I misplaced the gasket that was under it.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,

BDJL
Old November 19th, 2017, 07:36
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Head gasket recommendation

I can only speak of a stock block and head but I've used cometics in the past and victor MLS. I like both and would never use a composite gasket.
Old November 19th, 2017, 09:40
NAXJA Member

Does hesco give a recommendation? I would contact them and see what they want on it. For a stock build I think composite is fine but performance based I'd go MLS too.
Old November 19th, 2017, 09:56
NAXJA Forum User

The most important thing is to get a gasket that fits your build as in engine/head combo (bore/quench height/CR). Then see what's available!
Old November 19th, 2017, 11:13
NAXJA Forum User

BDL, you should be able to complete this form before you buy your gasket!
https://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/calculator/
Old November 20th, 2017, 05:14
NAXJA Forum User

I forgot to add, since you have a aluminum head I strongly suggest getting ARP head bolts so you can get good/even torque.
Old November 20th, 2017, 08:33
NAXJA Forum User

Already bought the arp head studs. I am (slightly) concerned about running an aluminum head, but it was fine on the last motor.

I believe Tesco resells a MLS gasket from another manufacturer, so MLS is what I was planning to go with.

As far as the calculator.... I used it on muy other stroker, but I built that one. This one was built 10+ years ago and I got it from a friend. I know it's Golen, I helped unpack it from the box. However the vagaries of time have eaten the documentation.

I called Chad Golan, and he's been very helpful. I wanted to know if anyone here might have any experience with the Hesco head.

Thanks four all the input.
Old November 20th, 2017, 08:42
NAXJA Forum User

Already got the ARP Head studs. I AM(very slightly) concerned about running am aluminum head on the stroker but worst case, I put the old head back on.

As for the calculator, I Am running into some difficulties. I didn't build the bottom end, And the buddy I got this from didn't keep Any documentation.

Chad Golen has been very helpful but it's over10 years Ago'
I actually used that calculator on the last stroker i built
Old November 20th, 2017, 10:06
NAXJA Forum User

The internal numbers are not that important now, your piston size 3.905". But you can check the deck height and call Hesco to see what the chamber CC's are! What type of piston and dish shape and CC's are they?
If you look here towards the bottom of the page you will see some of the more common gaskets. http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/tech_specs.html

Last edited by RCP Phx; November 20th, 2017 at 10:28.
Old November 20th, 2017, 11:32
NAXJA Forum User

The pistons are Federal Mogul #H802CP-30. They don't seem to be modified or dished any further.

I'll reach out to Hesco. They don't seem to list CC volume on their website.
Old November 20th, 2017, 12:27
NAXJA Forum User

That shows a being a cast piston with a 15.1cc "D" valve relief. That would effect your CR and Quench height!