• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Right sensors to carry

asymptonic

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
What are the right sensors to have spares of in the Jeep. No serious crawling but often long trips (800 mi) to places with rare garages and light offroading. What fails most often besides the CPS, which of course stranded me in Big Bend once?

CPS will strand you, the TPS will piss you off. They both fit under the back seat, so there is no reason not to carry one of each next to your spare fan belt.

What year/motor might be worth sharing.

Not a sensor, but my coil was what stranded me last. Thought it was CPS. Replaced that. No luck. Gave up and had the Jeep towed to a shop. They wanted to replace the CPS too, until they found I just did that an hour ago. They took the time to diagnose things and found the coil had failed.

Whatever it is you are prepared for, ol' Mr. Murphy will find something else to throw your way.

I have owned 6 XJ Cherokees, 5 have required a new CPS, and none have needed a coil. Get your TPS wet and it will not play nice.

What year/motor might be worth sharing.

Not a sensor, but my coil was what stranded me last. Thought it was CPS. Replaced that. No luck. Gave up and had the Jeep towed to a shop. They wanted to replace the CPS too, until they found I just did that an hour ago. They took the time to diagnose things and found the coil had failed.

Whatever it is you are prepared for, ol' Mr. Murphy will find something else to throw your way.

Yep, sorry about that. '98 4.0 AX15.

I went to the pick and pull junk yard and pulled every sensor that is likely to cause issues. CPS, TPS, coil, cap and rotor even a spare PCM (ECU). It all fit in a small tool box with some careful packing. Put some fuses, wire patch crimp connectors, some wire, small roll of Duct tape and some epoxy glue. Even a do it yourself tire plug kit.

I've always worked under the assumption as long as you have a spare with you, you will likely never need it.:)

Back