• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just want stock height restored.

Kevinma255

NAXJA Forum User
I just did a search and everybody is talking about lift. I am buying a 2000 xj and the rear springs are flat. I just want to restore the original height. Am I ok with the 2inch add a leaf from quadratec to restore or will that bring me above the original height. I am looking for this to be a reliable and stable daily driver for the winter. Possibly run up a green trail at Rausch creek, nothing more. It needs brakes, shocks and a cooling system so I am not looking to spend a lot on the springs if I don’t need to.

Buy some Crown Automotive Heavy Duty leaf springs which will be about 1 inch taller than stock. The front coils are probably OK, use some poly coil spacers to level it out.

The stock height does leave the rear springs flat.if they are visually arched then you have some lift there.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

We have a spring shop locally which charges $10 a leaf to re-arch. I've never done it myself, but it's on the table.

I live in NJ and there are no shops near me that do that and I’m this part of the country the only thing you can get at any shop for $10 is laughed at. I appreciate the suggestion but that does not work here. Thanks though.

My stock springs are flat, and I have a tire carrier bumper. This weekend I'll be installing Monroe Coil Overs this weekend, which should help keep them from sagging further. I'll let you know how it goes.

If that doesn't help, I'll be going Up Country Springs. Might do that even if it does.

My stock springs are flat, and I have a tire carrier bumper. This weekend I'll be installing Monroe Coil Overs this weekend, which should help keep them from sagging further. I'll let you know how it goes.

If that doesn't help, I'll be going Up Country Springs. Might do that even if it does.

That kind of coil-over isn't worth time/money!

That kind of coil-over isn't worth time/money!

I am curious.

My intent is decent shocks that help keep the Jeep level when I add additional weight, which I do from time to time. I am certainly not expecting race coil-over type performance, and the Monroe's received decent reviews.

Have you had a bad experience with them? Serious question. I haven't installed them yet so if there's something I should know I'm all ears.

Search for dirty lift height, it tells you how to measure your existing ride height to determine how much lift you have. Basically measure from the axle tube to the framerail near the bump stop, directions give precise locations and reference values

I am curious.

My intent is decent shocks that help keep the Jeep level when I add additional weight, which I do from time to time. I am certainly not expecting race coil-over type performance, and the Monroe's received decent reviews.

Have you had a bad experience with them? Serious question. I haven't installed them yet so if there's something I should know I'm all ears.

Basically junk shocks and if you have any rust your putting your upper mounts in danger. I used to sell them, at my last recommendation!

Basically junk shocks and if you have any rust your putting your upper mounts in danger. I used to sell them, at my last recommendation!

So new leaves are the best bet here?

Any recommendation for an affordable stock height shock?

Any thoughts on Monroe OE Spectrum Light Truck shocks?

If you carry lots of cargo, you probably want to upgrade the leaf springs to a higher load rating or consider an add-a-leaf. IMO stock XJ leaf springs are too soft. For firm suspension control look at Bilstien 4600 shocks. For general use on and off road, I suggest BDS shocks or DoetschTech DT-3000 shocks.

As said before...drop the money on a decent set of new springs. If you just want stock height, buy stock OEM springs. An add-a-leaf, especially a short 2" lift type will lose about half their arch fairly soon. They are not as expensive as you might think. XJ springs, even from the factory are designed to be fairly flat compared to most "trucks".

Go peek under a Tacoma, their leafs (the rear half) look pretty flat too. My XJ had air shocks on it when I got it, which worked fairly well, until I found that shocks are not really meant to bear the weight of the Jeep...that's the springs job.

Also, I have the coil-overs on my SWB MJ, I really like them. You might have trouble fitting those under an XJ due to the girth of the coil. Some MJ owners with a long bed say they WON'T fit because of the fuel tank.

Back