NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 24th, 2017, 08:43
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Sawsall proved to be a poor candidate to extract a late model firewall

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnX View Post
True, I was assuming auto trans...which could be built for the v8 power.
Honestly, I bought the Jeep for $250 and put a thousand miles on it, then needed an AX5 for a four cylinder model, and anything which can fit a Wrangler is stupid expensive around here. It pretty much paid for itself. I'm boxing all the manual transmission stuff that comes out and saving it. Couldn't justify putting anything back in behind the V6, and I have enough AW4s to last until I die.
Old October 24th, 2017, 08:54
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Driver View Post
Cut-off wheels, a plan, patience.

Not a BFH!

Oh boy...........

Chuck the clump, strip the bay, clean up your mess..........then cut.
Yeah, I'm pretty much there. In fact, the cutoff wheels are already purchased. I just haven't tried that hard, I guess. Fortunately, I'm practicing with junk before I cut either the project or the donor.

Unfortunately, the junk tub is an 89 and it has plenty of extra holes I won't need. I could just fill, but I'd rather extract the "top right corner" where the throttle cable passes through, getting that three inch lip under the pinch molding that allows you to remove your valve cover, but not enough to add the trans control wiring hole or the one for the shift cable. I'll just holesaw those.

Someone got mad at it once, and I'd like to repair that because it looks terrible. At least, with the engine out.

Can't wait to find out what the 4.0/AW4/4.10s drives like on 33s.
Old November 30th, 2017, 19:28
NAXJA Forum User

Happening:
[X] Its
[ ] Its not

Old December 1st, 2017, 08:24
NAXJA Forum User

It wasn't all that difficult, once I resigned myself to removing the wiper transmission. Thought I could get away without it. I absolutely destroyed the donor tub in removal.

The fun part was separating the layers, as there's three at the base of the cowl. Here's the flange under all of it.

I opted not to cut all the way to the right, settling on straight lines. The throttle cable outlet is lower than Renix, which is lower then later Chrysler models. The lower right hand corner was a must as that profile doesn't exist in the older one, and at that corner is a crease in the body also not seen later on. It made for some fun flanging that corner.

Fun fact, cut a line where you wish to remove the original seam sealer, heat from behind with a heat gun, lift an edge, and peel.
Old December 4th, 2017, 07:53
NAXJA Forum User

Engine is in. Transmission cross member doesn't line up to anything underneath. Opening on the left is larger after 91 or so. Lots of fun stuff left to do, so I'll start another thread detailing the finer points.