• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Pinch weld

Dadselyk

NAXJA Forum User
Hello. I am looking to install some 2x6 steel rock sliders. I've searched the forum and looked at several videos. is it ok to cut away the pinch seam at the bottom where the rock sliders go? I have seen where they do this, but I just wonder if why it would be good or bad to do this? I'm thinking maybe once you cut it away, since you are welding in a piece of steel it's ok. Thoughts?

I cut mine out when I did mine. I'd also suggest tying them into the "frame" if you think they're going to take any hard hits. Personally I'd do stiffeners before doing that though.

Thanks for the info. Been doing some mild wheeling at the cliffs in Marseilles.
Trying to build up the xj (and my nerve..) a little to hit some of the other trails.

The way I done the 2x6 in mine is we cut the rocker panels clear out, backing plates nd all, welded 2x2 angle to the body, and a strip of 1/8th in thick steel under the door where the top of the panel was, then used that to weld the tube to. mine is 1/4" thick and ive had the XJ sitting on the rock rails before with no issues what so ever. and they stiffen the body quite a bit.

Back