NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 14th, 2017, 11:18
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Steam coming from under your carís hood?

Steam coming from under your carís hood? Donít panic! Visit our blog to learn what you should do if your car is overheating.

Read what to do if your car is overheating here: http://tiny.cc/9dc4my

Old August 15th, 2017, 13:40
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Steam coming from under your carís hood?

Most vehicle manufacturers recommend that when overheating, you increase your idle RPMs by 200-300(aprx) to increase flow while not increasing temperature. By advising people to rev their engine in dead traffic, and that more revs=more cooling, you may be inadvertently directing one to make the problem worse, by say, running at 3500-4K RPM and seizing the motor(due to a loss of coolant or the motor overworking itself while not getting good flow).

I'm not dogging your business, or you personally, this is my interpretation and merely a suggestion.

Last edited by Yzzerdd; August 15th, 2017 at 13:44.
Old August 15th, 2017, 16:47
NAXJA# 2091

Re: Steam coming from under your carís hood?

We actually diagnosed a bad fan clutch long distance with my daughter when it overheated idling in park. Topped off the coolant, let it idle and after a while the temp gauge was climbing. I had here raise the rpms to 1200, and the temp gauge dropped like a rock. She drove it home 60 miles, and just nursed the idle speed at stops a bit. New clutch fixed it.
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091