• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ Iron Rock offroad or Rough Country

NateColson89

NAXJA Forum User
Im sure this post has been discussed many times but im looking into a 6.5 Long arm kit and ive kind of narrowed it down to either of these. The RC is a little cheaper but im not sure which one would be a better kit. Ill be getting a slip yoke eliminator and driveshaft as well just looking for some input hasta

Is this for mall crawlin or....?

I have a Core long arm upgrade. But back to your question. A friend of mine has the Rough Country and said it was a lot of work. Pieces everywhere. He said he even had the assembly the Johnny joints. He is a seasoned mechanic and knows what he is doing. He says it's pretty good ride and flex. Quality is good. But no where as good as the Synergy kit he has for his newest project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You gotta have clayton to go mall crawling.

Rough country is good. A few hundred bucks upgraded the links on frame side .

you get what you pay for a lot of people say rough country rides good but they probably have never been in anything better, flex doesn't matter because almost anything can be made to flex...

with both iro and rc your gonna get crappy white rocket shocks, soft springs that will sag over time and will need more upgrades depending on your usage

There's not a lot of quality difference in the two, but I would probably lean toward the IRO product myself.

not really a mall crawler, I drive the jeep every day. just figure if im going to buy a 6.5 short arm kit I might as well pony up and buy something I can have more fun with.

reason I figured rough country was because it looks decently solid but reading everyones reviews its usually hit or miss.

And clayton would be awesome, but after everything else ill have to get it stretches my wallet thing

not really a mall crawler, I drive the jeep every day. just figure if im going to buy a 6.5 short arm kit I might as well pony up and buy something I can have more fun with.

reason I figured rough country was because it looks decently solid but reading everyones reviews its usually hit or miss.

And clayton would be awesome, but after everything else ill have to get it stretches my wallet thing

A 6.5 for a lift on a XJ really becomes overkill unless you just want something tall that doesn't serve a purpose. If your only options are IRO and RC, IRO hands down, but there are a lot of better options out there. Really just depends on your use. For a DD that you want to wheel a 4.5 kit will probably serve you a lot better.

What size tire are you running? What else are you planning on doing?

Personally I would get the RE or TNT kit !!!

If you hold off for a bit IRO is gonna be releasing a 3 link kit for the XJ, but I like my IRO 4.5" lift, it doesn't ride bad at all, and after a year it hasn't sagged at all. Also if you go with IRO get the doestech shocks, little stiffer, but a lot longer and beefy.

Going from experience, I would HIGHLY recommend saving for the clayton kit, or maybe cav fab... basically ANYTHING with a 3 piece crossmember. its better than 1, because you can weld on the sides (MUCH stronger, I actually had a friend drop an entire crossmember the other day while wheeling), and you don't have to drop the entire suspension to pull the tranny.

Going from experience, I would HIGHLY recommend saving for the clayton kit, or maybe cav fab... basically ANYTHING with a 3 piece crossmember. its better than 1, because you can weld on the sides (MUCH stronger, I actually had a friend drop an entire crossmember the other day while wheeling), and you don't have to drop the entire suspension to pull the tranny.

IRO has a 3 piece crossmember

Stay away from RC due to crap quality.
Stay away from cav fab due to taking your money and not shipping product then never comunicating.
Stay away from IRO radius arm 3 link. Anything else of theirs is better than RC.
Go clayton 3 link or full traction true 4 link. Or maybe even the synergy 3 link.

Stay away from RC due to crap quality.
Stay away from cav fab due to taking your money and not shipping product then never comunicating.
Stay away from IRO radius arm 3 link. Anything else of theirs is better than RC.
Go clayton 3 link or full traction true 4 link. Or maybe even the synergy 3 link.

I can't speak for cav fab service or product, but I see a lot of different kits through the shop and can agree to the rest.

You'll be happier in the long run if you can hold off and save for a better kit.

Back