NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old February 25th, 2017, 18:06
NAXJA Forum User

Want to tilt the seat base back

Hey all,

My prior XJ's all had the captains seats where the seat itself actually tilted forwards & backwards. I loved tilting it back as it sort of held you in the seat a bit - like bucket seats.

The XJ I have now has the basic seats which do not tilt, and I find them rather uncomfortable in comparison.

I was wondering if anyone ever modified the base for a more permanent tilt?
Old February 25th, 2017, 18:16
NAXJA Member

Re: Want to tilt the seat base back

You could stack a bunch of washers under the front 2 bolts to tilt it back a bit. Adjust the number of washers to get the tilt you want. If you stack enough, you might need longer bolts.
Old February 25th, 2017, 21:17
NAXJA Member

It's EZ to swap the "rocker" seat bases from XJ to XJ. Junkyard is your friend. They bolt right up! 4 bolts with their own trim.
Old February 25th, 2017, 22:56
NAXJA Forum User

In 84 AMC put some seats that swiveled at the base giving you the option of a bench like seat or a cradling bucket style seat or anything in between. May be worth your time to see if those still bolt in with the holes for later model Xj's. Think thats a safer option than washers because you need all that thread and bolt in the floor in case of an accident
Old February 26th, 2017, 12:02
NAXJA Forum User

Add spacers under the front legs/feet to raise the front, and under the rears to raise the back. Simple.
Old February 26th, 2017, 12:49
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseXJ View Post
It's EZ to swap the "rocker" seat bases from XJ to XJ. Junkyard is your friend. They bolt right up! 4 bolts with their own trim.
I have seen a few of those tilt bases in the yards around Denver. Although, I don't know if that does the OP any good. There is a lot of "Colorado" that is nowhere close to the Denver-metro area.
Old February 26th, 2017, 19:35
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoid View Post
I have seen a few of those tilt bases in the yards around Denver. Although, I don't know if that does the OP any good. There is a lot of "Colorado" that is nowhere close to the Denver-metro area.
Ooooh, which yards? I'm in Boulder. Would be worth it to drive out if I can simply swap the bases.

Thanks a lot fellas.
Old February 27th, 2017, 12:15
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALTANAKT View Post
Ooooh, which yards? I'm in Boulder. Would be worth it to drive out if I can simply swap the bases.

Thanks a lot fellas.
BOULDER!!!!!!!!! The Denver U-Pull might be 20 minutes away from you. The Denver LKQ is 5 minutes away from there.

I have not been to the yards for a couple weeks, so I'm not sure what is there at this moment. Keep tabs on the "Junkyard Finds" thread in the Colorado Chapter. I have been known to give people a heads-up when I see something they are looking for.

Old March 1st, 2017, 19:23
NAXJA Forum User

Yea! Thanks man!