NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old February 1st, 2017, 23:40
NAXJA Member

advice 8000 vs 10000lb winch

hey all,

im looking to add a winch in the near future. Ive been looking at synthetic options mostly warn vr, superwinch tiger........ maybe a steel cable then convert to synthetic.

if you have any pros cons for synthetic vs steel line other than safety i am all ears as well.

*Mostly I would like your opinion on the power/ safety of the winches power so Im not to over stress the xj with too big of a winch.
is 8000 too little is 12000 lbs ridiculous.........

thank you for your help
Old February 1st, 2017, 23:53
Piece of Fish!

Re: advice 8000 vs 10000lb winch

If you can afford, greater weight pull is better. Good quality synthetic is lighter, durable, and less dangerous if it does break.
blistovmhz: Goddamn Canada. We're all rapists. Don't come here.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 02:12
PSR Fire Marshall

I had a 12K Warn on Gomer when I bought it. Replaced it with a 9000 lb? Powerplant and replacement bumper, and gained 1" lift on the front end.

125' of 3/8" steel cable is not light. I went with 100' of 3/8" nylon rope on the replacement. Carry a Warn recovery kit, which includes extensions.

Personally, I'd consider an 8000 pound winch with less line, such as 75'. You'd end up with approximately the same pull strength as a 10,000 pound winch with 100' of cable, due to the additional wraps on the spool, for the same amount of line spooled out. It's easy to extend when you need.

At the very least, go with synthetic rope. Weight, strength, lack of wire splinters in your hands (yes, I had gloves, but they're less effective when they have holes in them ). Just consider protecting the rope from UV exposure.

David Bricker / SYR - ITO
Gomer - '95 XJ, 2 dr. 4.6L Russ Pottenger Stroker; Novak TJ AX-15; Black Box 2.72:1 + 241OR 4:1; RockJock 60 Front, hydro assist, Hi-steer; D60 trussed and shaved rear; 4.56 ARB Front and Rear; Black Magic discs, Bilstein 7100s front and rear; 35s; PRP seats; Warn PowerPlant winch, hybrid cage. Annd, the Faux Dorkle is gone.
National Treasurer 2013-2019
Not a member? Become one today, and help support YOUR club.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 05:25
NAXJA Forum User

I think the workout you plan on giving it depends too. If you go with a smaller unit and use it less, it would be best. However if your plans are to rely on the winch every time you wheel I would go with a slightly larger unit so as not to overwork it too much. The heavier winch will not struggle as much and will likely last longer. I can not way in on the rope vs. cable as all I have ever used is cable.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 08:43
NAXJA Member

synthetic is great, but cable works too. It's on my upgrade list but pretty far down. When the cable gets rusty and won't uncoil properly, I'll replace it. Until then it works. I spray wd40 on the cable couple times a year trying to keep corrosion to a minimum.
Got a 10k on mine. Like having the extra capacity. Although I very very rarely use it. Was one of my first upgrades. I don't regret it, it just doesn't get used as much as I thought it would.
make sure you do bumper and "frame" tie ins. yanked mine off at Bridgeport
Old February 2nd, 2017, 10:10
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
I think the workout you plan on giving it depends too. If you go with a smaller unit and use it less, it would be best. However if your plans are to rely on the winch every time you wheel I would go with a slightly larger unit so as not to overwork it too much. The heavier winch will not struggle as much and will likely last longer. I can not way in on the rope vs. cable as all I have ever used is cable.
Agree!

There was a discussion of the Harbor Freight winches on another board. Out of curiosity, I looked at the electrical draw for both winches. The 12,000 pound winch drew less Amps at a higher work load, than the 9,000 lb winch drew at the top of it's rated capacity.

I wonder if the winches listed by the OP publish current draw at specific working loads.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 10:15
NAXJA Member #1310

I was almost being killed when my uncle broke a steel winch cable, pulling out a stuck car.
The hook broke free, sending the cable flying rearward, through the Jeep's windshield and out the back window, missing both my uncle and myself.
Scared the s... out of both of us.
I will only run synthetic cable, it is so much safer.
01 Sport, 4.6L Russ Pottenger. stroker, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, Towing baseplate
Old February 2nd, 2017, 10:49
NAXJA Member

The harbor freight winches from what i have read work great. I just picked up a 12,000 one myself. There's only a $20 price difference from the 9k if you use a coupon. I used mine the next day and had no issues. Synthetic line will be on the list when time comes. Side by side comparison of weight, the 12k felt lighter than the 9k when i picked both up in store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old February 2nd, 2017, 11:03
NAXJA Member

im sold on the synthetic line. as im researching options it seem a lot of the cost will be associated with line speed.

how practical is this for me so far as buying a warn vr/ superwinch tigershark or something similar.

i just want a safe winch that will surely get me unstuck and not blow up.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 15:49
NAXJA Member

From my research, it appears the 9000 to 12000 lbs winches have the same motor so at free load they will draw the same amount of amps. However, the 12000 lbs unit have a much deeper gear ratio. That is the reason the amp draw at high load is lower for the bigger winch verses the lower rated winch,...it is like trying to start your XJ moving in 4th gear verses 1st gear.

I have seen some where before that the rule of thumb for a suitable winch is suggested at (1 1.5) one and a half the weight of your rig. The early XJ that had a factory winch installed were 6000 lbs units.

Just some food for thought.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 19:48
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyxj View Post
I was almost being killed when my uncle broke a steel winch cable, pulling out a stuck car.
The hook broke free, sending the cable flying rearward, through the Jeep's windshield and out the back window, missing both my uncle and myself.
Scared the s... out of both of us.
I will only run synthetic cable, it is so much safer.
Damn! I would be in the fetal position for weeks after that.

This is exactly why I love shackles, or safety clasp type hooks. I've seen the downsides of hooks first hand in a fab shop too many times.
www.BoostwerksEngineering.com
Old February 2nd, 2017, 21:24
NAXJA Member

I personally have only seen the double weight rule. 4k rig equals 8k winch. I looked at the HF winches,but in the end couldn't bring myself to do it. I'd rather buy a winch I know I can depend on than a HF that might work when I need it most. If you got the time, I watched CL for a few months and picked up an almost unused warn for a good price.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 22:56
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post
I personally have only seen the double weight rule. 4k rig equals 8k winch. I looked at the HF winches,but in the end couldn't bring myself to do it. I'd rather buy a winch I know I can depend on than a HF that might work when I need it most. If you got the time, I watched CL for a few months and picked up an almost unused warn for a good price.
yeah ive been trying that rout for a good while with no change in the markets offerings, oh well.

a reputable brand seems like a good bet and im feeling better at looking for an 8--10000lb winch rather than 10-12000lb.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 23:05
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
how practical is this for me so far as buying a warn vr/ superwinch tigershark or something similar.
When you get down to choosing brand A, B, or C, shop for replacement parts. I rehabbed the electric motor on a Superwinch product because replacements were not available. Had I not been able to pull that off, the owner would have had to buy another new winch.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 06:16
NAXJA Member

advice 8000 vs 10000lb winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
im sold on the synthetic line. as im researching options it seem a lot of the cost will be associated with line speed.

i just want a safe winch that will surely get me unstuck and not blow up.

Synthetic line is strong and light however it is advised to not let it lay in dirt/silt or rub it on rocks or trees. A steel cable should be treated the same manor however they can last longer in those conditions.

A warn V/R is a good entry winch. Superwinch also has a great reputation. I got my VR8000 at 4wheelparts with a $75 mail in rebate. I believed it was a good deal. I don't do mud so my only two pulls have been less than 5 yards which involved getting dragged over rocks that were way too big to for my 35s to get over.

I have seen more winch failures occur at the solenoid box than at the gears or motor of the actual winch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just want to build something that won't break on the trail