NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 7th, 2016, 20:50
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 96 xj sport 5.3 swap

I used a TE Connectivity 32 pin connector for my gauge cluster. Digikey has a lot of connectors like that for not too bad of prices if you can't find one at the JY
Old July 8th, 2016, 19:42
NAXJA Forum User

engine is in!

Old July 8th, 2016, 20:43
NAXJA Forum User

Awesome
Old July 9th, 2016, 13:21
NAXJA Forum User

plugged in the harnesses today, its still a big mess, but its the kind of mess where i know where everything is haha

also cut the support out for the new rad, i decided im going to run a factory jeep 4.0 condenser for the a/c i wasnt happy with how much of the support i would have had to cut out, ill just stack a couple of oil coolers (trans/ power steering) in the open space next to the rad, which i still need to fab mounts for..

also the kwick performance bracket does not clear the steering gear box (durango box/c-rock spacer) ill wait till i get my trans mount in the mail till i figure out what im gonna do about it, im likely just going to move the pump up and drill new holes ive got some space to work with. it just depend on the angle of the dangle, i think the main issue is the bracket moves the pump up and over ..but not up enought, but everything clears to hood at least

also i some how managed to dent the hell out of the tranny pan and punch a hole in it when i drop the motor in yesterday and didnt notice it till this morning
Old July 9th, 2016, 13:26
NAXJA Member

Is there room to move the alternator down & towards the center some ??

I notice that always seems to be the high point on these v8 installs........
Old July 9th, 2016, 13:32
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRCM View Post
Is there room to move the alternator down & towards the center some ??

I notice that always seems to be the high point on these v8 installs........
the bracket im using does that and the alt clears the hood just fine, the issue im having is with the power steering pulley not clearing the steering box.

i kew going in that the truck bracket wouldnt clear the hood
Old July 9th, 2016, 13:39
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleenrob View Post
the bracket im using does that and the alt clears the hood just fine, the issue im having is with the power steering pulley not clearing the steering box.

i kew going in that the truck bracket wouldnt clear the hood

I got the problem you were having, was just asking if the alt could also be moved....

Looks like moving the alt in & down would help with hood clearance, and give enough room to the reservoir for the PS pump to move out & up to clear the steering box.

How hard would it be to put the alt over where the idler pulley is on the pass side, and then move the PS pump up ?

Just kinda thinking out loud and asking cuz I am looking at doing this too soon to my 96 sport.

Last edited by TRCM; July 9th, 2016 at 13:43.
Old July 9th, 2016, 13:46
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I got the problem you were having, was just asking if the alt could also be moved....

Looks like moving the alt in & down would help with hood clearance, and give enough room to the reservoir for the PS pump to move out & up to clear the steering box.

How hard would it be to put the alt over where the idler pulley is on the pass side, and then move the PS pump up ?

Just kinda thinking out loud and asking cuz I am looking at doing this too soon to my 96 sport.

not to hard but i should have enough space to move the pump up enough to clear, if thats not enough ill press on a smaller pump pulley
Old July 9th, 2016, 13:47
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:

The alternator is too thick to move in front of the head. There are different bracket companies out there. Mine are from LSBrackets and fit fine, It just uses a different style power steering pump.
Old July 9th, 2016, 13:51
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared View Post
The alternator is too thick to move in front of the head. There are different bracket companies out there. Mine are from LSBrackets and fit fine, It just uses a different style power steering pump.

Again, just asking, but if the belt is parallel to the front of the block, and the alt fits in front of the drivers side head, then it should fit in front of the pass side head.....of course, with different brackets.

I may have to keep it on the drivers side for an A/C compressor...gots to have my A/C.

Your brackets look like they clear everything better tho

Old July 9th, 2016, 13:52
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared View Post
yea your bracket definatly clears way better than mine
Old July 9th, 2016, 13:55
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Again, just asking, but if the belt is parallel to the front of the block, and the alt fits in front of the drivers side head, then it should fit in front of the pass side head.....of course, with different brackets.

I may have to keep it on the drivers side for an A/C compressor...gots to have my A/C.

im sure it could but i dont know of any brackets on the market that do that, however if you have fab skills you can make the accesories do whatever the hell you want
Old July 9th, 2016, 14:01
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleenrob View Post
im sure it could but i dont know of any brackets on the market that do that, however if you have fab skills you can make the accesories do whatever the hell you want

I've had to do that before on other vehicles, but it's a PITA if they don't line up 100%....much easier to use proven stuff if it is available....
Old July 9th, 2016, 16:10
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:

Look up goatbuilt LS brackets and dirty dingo brackets, they have options to swap alternator and P/S to the opposite side. The brackets depend on the the P/S pump you want to run.
Old July 9th, 2016, 16:47
NAXJA Member

awesome....thanks....I'll look into that