NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 25th, 2017, 17:21
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 96 xj sport 5.3 swap

Interested to hear how you did the wiring for the ac. I'm in the beginning stages of my 6.0 ls swap in my 2001. Ac is something I've never done. If you could post some pictures, that would be awesome!
Old July 25th, 2017, 18:26
NAXJA Forum User

its not to hard. i wired it like factory gm

low pressure switch wired into the pcm

clutch control from the pcm to jeep relay

a/c clutch relay to gm a/c clutch on compressor

12v from hvac controls thru the high press. cutoff switch into gm pcm pin for a/c request

waiting on a compressor fitting to finish the lines. had it charged on sunday and the crimp fitting blew
Old August 21st, 2017, 18:53
NAXJA Forum User

man what a freaking nightmare i had getting the a/c functioning in this damn thing!

went tro use my OE lines, part of the jeep compressor broke off in the suction line, bought a replace ment then tor the hard line tweaking it into place, bought a replacement suction line crimped a different fitting on it and it leaked like a siv. tweaked the dicharge line into place, then it melted thro form touching the header, cut it and crimped a fitting on the oe hose, then the hose exploded while charging it. bought a hose kit an made custom suction/discharge hoses, then my condenser blew out, replaced it and that blew out, got all that woring and the a/c clutch relay died. currently works but low on refrigerant.

UUUUHHHHHHHHHh

currently waiting on a new driver side unit bearing since its wobbling and making a lot of noise

also developed a cold start lifter tick and im losing coolant with no visible leaks so im thinking ive got a cracked head, its a 706 casting :/

mom still has my jetta, so im kinda screwed
Old August 23rd, 2017, 06:43
NAXJA Member #1145

I'm in the midst of similar in my S10- I've GOT to have AC again- it's been 23 years since I've had AC and driving my son's 97 spoiled me.

I am planning on taking the OEM manifold that is cast into the factory fittings, cutting the lines off and tapping for a large JIC fitting. Then I'll find lines that are suitable for the chemistry and pressure of refrigerant, and build lines with JIC field-serviceable ends.

In my case I am merely using all GM hardware- compressor and condensor- but I've stuffed a V8 where a V6 belongs, and moved things around, so I don't have a factory fitment to work from.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31s. The wife's DD.
-97 XJ: Son's DD. 4" lift, ACOS, 4" spring pack, Upcountry coils, 31s
Old September 7th, 2017, 09:36
NAXJA Forum User

Hey man, really wanting to read through this build to help me in my future endeavors but I can't see the images because of a photobucket error. Not sure if it's your side or mine. Any help so I can glean some info would be appreciated!
Old September 7th, 2017, 09:49
NAXJA Member #1145

Photobucket is basically holding people's picsw cor ransom- pay $400/year for offsite linking or it won't work.

That's what is going on. View Source of the images seperately and you can get to them.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
Old December 5th, 2017, 06:35
NAXJA Forum User

I found solution for the "lost" pics - just install Photobucket Embedded Image Fix into Chrome browser and all the pics are visible again
Old December 5th, 2017, 08:26
NAXJA Forum User

Photobucket link hotfix or something like that also works in Chrome and Firefox.
Old December 5th, 2017, 17:40
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian View Post
I found solution for the "lost" pics - just install Photobucket Embedded Image Fix into Chrome browser and all the pics are visible again
your the best! didnt know this existed!

installed and all the pics are working on my computer at least

no change in the jeep really, other than a trans line exploding on the highway. bought a newer car as a daily so its been on the back burner. plus ive been working 2 jobs trying to save for a house so all my time and money are diverted to that
Old December 5th, 2017, 23:50
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleenrob View Post
your the best! didnt know this existed!

installed and all the pics are working on my computer at least

no change in the jeep really, other than a trans line exploding on the highway. bought a newer car as a daily so its been on the back burner. plus ive been working 2 jobs trying to save for a house so all my time and money are diverted to that
that's why mine has taken so long. Bought a house and had a kid.
Old December 6th, 2017, 11:39
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared View Post
that's why mine has taken so long. Bought a house and had a kid.
It still needs quite a bit but it's gonna have to wait.

Still losing coolant, a/c is poor at best, 4wd still just set up, need to shorten the lcas, maybe redo the trans lines. Cowl straightened out. I may end up selling it in the future to do an mj project once I have a house tho so not to sure what'll happen yet,
Old December 6th, 2017, 14:50
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleenrob View Post
no change in the jeep really, other than a trans line exploding on the highway.
And this right here is why I replace all my fluid power lines with -6JIC using field-serviceable ends and SAE 100R2AT Hydraulic Hose.

Yes, it is *MASSIVE* overkill. For instance, the working pressure is 4,785PSI.. and I'm using it on AT cooler lines that only see about 50. OK, I also use it on the power steering and hydroboost hoses, which see upwards of 2300PSI. But there is a lot to be said for NEVER losing another transmission due to a ruptured cooling line (I went through 4 trannys on my S10 due to issues with the cooling lines), and only having to keep a 6' section of one kind of hose in the back of my truck to take care of all my hydraulics. If need be I can repair a hose on the side of the road with two adjustable wrenches (and I have done so in a gas station parking lot after not paying attention to what the counter jockey at the local hydro shop gave me when I asked for an Aeroquip part number they were out of stock).

As a crazy bonus, the hose is only about $1.60/foot if you buy it online: http://www.discounthydraulichose.com...ct_p/r2-06.htm

Last edited by burntkat; December 6th, 2017 at 14:55.